Consistent testing for stochastic dominance : a subsampling approach
We study a very general setting, and propose a procedure for estimating the critical values of the extended Kolmogorov-Smirnov tests of First and Second Order Stochastic Dominance due to McFadden (1989) in the general k-prospect case. We allow for the observations to be generally serially dependent and, for the first time, we can accommodate general dependence amongst the prospects which are to be ranked. Also, the prospects may be the residuals from certain conditional models, opening the way for conditional ranking. We also propose a test of Prospect Stochastic Dominance. Our method is based on subsampling and we show that the resulting data tests are consistent.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:2:p:347-59 is not listed on IDEAS
- K. -Y. Ho, 2003. "Long-run stock price performance after IPOs: what do tests for stochastic dominance tell us?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 15-19.
- Anderson, Gordon, 1996. "Nonparametric Tests of Stochastic Dominance in Income Distributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1183-93, September.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1111R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1996.
"Stochastic Equicontinuity for Unbounded Dependent Heterogeneous Arrays,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 347-359, June.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1994. "Stochastic Equicontinuity for Unbounded Dependent Heterogeneous Arrays," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 295., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2001. "An Unbiased and Powerful Test for Superior Predictive Ability," Working Papers 2001-06, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Almas Heshmati, 2000.
"Stochastic dominance amongst swedish income distributions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 287-320.
- Heshmati, Almas & Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1998. "Stochastic Dominance Amongst Swedish Income Distributions," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 279, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ian Crawford, 1999. "Nonparametric tests of stochastic dominance in bivariate distributions, with an application to UK data," IFS Working Papers W99/28, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xu, K. & Fisher, G. & Wilson, D., 1995. "New Distribution Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 95-02, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan M. & Wolf, Michael, 2001. "Subsampling inference in cube root asymptotics with an application to Manski's maximum score estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 241-250, November.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:10:y:1994:i:5:p:849-66 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abadie A., 2002. "Bootstrap Tests for Distributional Treatment Effects in Instrumental Variable Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 284-292, March.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2001. "Consistent specification testing for conditional moment restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 299-306, June.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Porter, R. Burr & Wart, James R. & Ferguson, Donald L., 1973. "Efficient Algorithms for Conducting Stochastic Dominance Tests on Large Numbers of Portfolios," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 71-81, January.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- repec:oup:restud:v:54:y:1987:i:3:p:485-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Levy, Haim & Wiener, Zvi, 1998. "Stochastic Dominance and Prospect Dominance with Subjective Weighting Functions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 147-63, May-June.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Bishop, John A & Formby, John P & Thistle, Paul D, 1992. "Convergence of the South and Non-South Income Distributions, 1969-1979," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 262-72, March.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.Y., 1995.
"Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers,"
9521, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 1997. "Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1453-1466, November.
- DAVIDSON, Russell & DUCLOS, Jean-Yves, 1995. "Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidences of Taxes and Transfers," Cahiers de recherche 9521, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.Y., 1995. "Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 95a30, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- repec:oup:restud:v:36:y:1969:i:107:p:335-46 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaur, Amarjot & Prakasa Rao, B.L.S. & Singh, Harshinder, 1994. "Testing for Second-Order Stochastic Dominance of Two Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 849-866, December.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Antonio Forcina, 1999. "Inference for Lorenz curve orderings," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 49-75.
- W. Ogryczak & A. Ruszczynski, 1997. "On Stochastic Dominance and Mean-Semideviation Models," Working Papers ir97043, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Horowitz, Joel L. & Kreiss, Jens-Peter, 2001. "Bootstrap methods for time series," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,59, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Y.K. Tse & Xibin Zhang, 2003. "A Monte Carlo Investigation of Some Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Daniel L. Millimet & Esfandiar Maasoumi, 2005. "Robust inference concerning recent trends in US environmental quality," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 55-77.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Holly, Alberto & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Likelihood Ratio Test, Wald Test, and Kuhn-Tucker Test in Linear Models with Inequality Constraints on the Regression Parameters," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 63-80, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:2207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.