Statistical Inference for the Measurement of the Incidence of Taxes and Transfers
We establish the asymptotic sampling distribution of general functions of quantile-based estimators computed from samples that are not necessarily independent. The results provide the statistical framework within which to assess the progressivity of taxes and benefits, their horizontal inequity, and the change in the inequality of income which they cause. By the same token, these findings characterise the sampling distribution of a number of popular indices of progressivity, horizontal inequity, and redistribution. They can also be used to assess welfare and inequality changes using panel data, and to assess poverty when it depends on estimated population quantiles. We illustrate these results using micro data on the incidence of taxes and benefits in Canada.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UNIVERSITE LAVAL, GREPE DEPARTEMENT D'ECONOMIQUE, QUEBEC G1K 7P4.|
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakobsson, Ulf, 1976. "On the measurement of the degree of progression," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 161-168.
- Suits, Daniel B, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 747-752, September.
- R. A. Musgrave & Tun Thin, 1948. "Income Tax Progression, 1929-48," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 498-498.
- Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David, 1994.
"Generalized Ginis and Cooperative Bargaining Solutions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1161-1178, September.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldson, D., 1993. "Generalized Ginis and Cooperative Bargaining Solution," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 93a12, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Beach, C.M. & Dividson, R. & Slotsve, G.A., 1995.
"Distribution Free Statistical Inference for Inequality Dominance with Crossing Lorenx Curves,"
95a03, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Charles M. Beach & Russell Davidson & George A. Slotsve, 1994. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference for Inequality Dominance with Crossing Lorenz Curves," Working Papers 912, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mehran, Farhad, 1976. "Linear Measures of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 805-809, July.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1993.
"Progressivity, Redistribution, and Equity, with Application to the British Tax and Benefit System,"
Public Finance = Finances publiques,
, vol. 48(3), pages 350-65.
- DUCLOS, Jean-Yves, 1994. "Progressivity, Redistribution and Equity, with Application to the British Tax and Benefit System," Cahiers de recherche 9403, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1982. "The concept and measurement of horizontal inequity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 373-391, April.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-288, May.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1976. "On the theory of tax reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 77-104.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-764, July.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1995. "Changing Ranks and the Inequality Impacts of Taxes and Transfers," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 48(1), pages 45-59, March.
- John P. Formby & W. James Smith & Paul D. Thistle, 1990. "The Average Tax Burden and the Welfare Implications of Global Tax Progressivity," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 18(1), pages 3-24, January.
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Charles M. Beach & Russell Davidson, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 723-735.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:lavape:9521. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.