Investment Stimulation by a Depreciation Mechanism
The authors investigate the possibility of utilizing the depreciation mechanism to provide incentives for undertaking investment in the real sector of the Russian economy. The proposed model of investor's behavior under risk and uncertainty considers a wide range of tax instruments The authors derive the optimal timing rule for investment and depreciation policy which maximizes tax payments into the regional budget. A comparative analysis of the former and new profit taxation systems is carried out. The authors discover interdependence of tax holidays and accelerated depreciation, and study the replacement of property tax by real estate tax. They investigate the possibilities of compensating for risk by reducing profit tax rate and changing depreciation policy, and prove the existence of risk zones for which these fiscal mechanisms are non-effective.
|Date of creation:||21 Feb 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yaozhong Hu & Bernt Øksendal, 1998. "Optimal time to invest when the price processes are geometric Brownian motions," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 295-310.
- Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 1996.
"Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 237-273, October.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1995. "Tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cummins, J.G. & Hassett, K.A. & Hubbard, R.G., 1995. "tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," Working Papers 95-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mackie-Mason, Jeffrey K., 1990. "Some nonlinear tax effects on asset values and investment decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 301-327, August.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1982. "Accelerated depreciation and the efficacy of temporary fiscal policy : Implications for an inflationary economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-47, October.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1980. "Accelerated Depreciation and the Efficacy of Temporary Fiscal Policy: Implications for an Inflationary Economy," NBER Working Papers 0596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1996. "Designing tax policy in federalist economies: An overview," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 307-334, June.
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i:2:p:357-363 is not listed on IDEAS
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474.
- Berg, M. & De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Wielhouwer, J.L., 1996. "Optimal Tax Reduction by Depreciation : A Stochastic Model," Discussion Paper 1996-102, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mintz, Jack M, 1990. "Corporate Tax Holidays and Investment," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 81-102, January.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
- Wielhouwer, J.L. & Kort, P.M. & De Waegenaere, A.M.B., 1999. "Effects of tax depreciation on optimal firm investments," Discussion Paper 1999-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wakeman, Lee MacDonald, 1980. "Optimal tax depreciation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 213-237, December.
- Berg, Menachem & Waegenaere, Anja De & Wielhouwer, Jacco L., 2001. "Optimal tax depreciation with uncertain future cash-flows," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 197-209, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:02-05e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.