Investment Stimulation by a Depreciation Mechanism
The authors investigate the possibility of utilizing the depreciation mechanism to provide incentives for undertaking investment in the real sector of the Russian economy. The proposed model of investor's behavior under risk and uncertainty considers a wide range of tax instruments The authors derive the optimal timing rule for investment and depreciation policy which maximizes tax payments into the regional budget. A comparative analysis of the former and new profit taxation systems is carried out. The authors discover interdependence of tax holidays and accelerated depreciation, and study the replacement of property tax by real estate tax. They investigate the possibilities of compensating for risk by reducing profit tax rate and changing depreciation policy, and prove the existence of risk zones for which these fiscal mechanisms are non-effective.
|Date of creation:||21 Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abel, Andrew B., 1982.
"Accelerated depreciation and the efficacy of temporary fiscal policy : Implications for an inflationary economy,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-47, October.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1980. "Accelerated Depreciation and the Efficacy of Temporary Fiscal Policy: Implications for an Inflationary Economy," NBER Working Papers 0596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yaozhong Hu & Bernt Øksendal, 1998. "Optimal time to invest when the price processes are geometric Brownian motions," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 295-310.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1995.
"Tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
NBER Working Papers
5232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 1996. "Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 237-273, October.
- Cummins, J.G. & Hassett, K.A. & Hubbard, R.G., 1995. "tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," Working Papers 95-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mintz, Jack M, 1990. "Corporate Tax Holidays and Investment," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 81-102, January.
- Mackie-Mason, Jeffrey K., 1990. "Some nonlinear tax effects on asset values and investment decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 301-327, August.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474, 01-2013.
- Berg, M. & De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Wielhouwer, J.L., 1996. "Optimal Tax Reduction by Depreciation : A Stochastic Model," Discussion Paper 1996-102, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1996. "Designing tax policy in federalist economies: An overview," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 307-334, June.
- Berg, Menachem & Waegenaere, Anja De & Wielhouwer, Jacco L., 2001. "Optimal tax depreciation with uncertain future cash-flows," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 197-209, July.
- Wielhouwer, J.L. & Kort, P.M. & De Waegenaere, A.M.B., 1999. "Effects of tax depreciation on optimal firm investments," Discussion Paper 1999-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wakeman, Lee MacDonald, 1980. "Optimal tax depreciation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 213-237, December.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:02-05e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.