Optimal tax depreciation under a progressive tax system
The focus of this paper is on the effect of a progressive tax system on optimal tax depreciation. By using dynamic optimization we show that an optimal strategy exists, and we provide an analytical expression for the optimal depreciation charges. Depreciation charges initially decrease over time, and after a number of periods the firm enters a steady state where depreciation is constant and equal to replacement investments. This way, the optimal solution trades off the benefits of accelerated depreciation (because of discounting) and of constant depreciation (because of the progressive tax system). We show that the steady state will be reached sooner when the initial tax base is lower or when the discounting effect is stronger.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William J. Baumol, 1971. "Optimal Depreciation Policy: Pricing the Products of Durable Assets," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(2), pages 638-656, Autumn.
- Berg, Menachem & Waegenaere, Anja De & Wielhouwer, Jacco L., 2001. "Optimal tax depreciation with uncertain future cash-flows," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 197-209, July.
- Wielhouwer, J.L. & De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Kort, P.M., 2000. "Optimal dynamic investment policy for different tax depreciation rates and economic depreciation rates," Other publications TiSEM 1b887e80-c43f-41dd-aa3c-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Wakeman, Lee MacDonald, 1980. "Optimal tax depreciation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 213-237, December.
- Burness, H Stuart & Patrick, Robert H, 1992. "Optimal Depreciation, Payments to Capital, and Natural Monopoly Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 35-50, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:27:y:2002:i:2:p:243-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.