Irreversible Investment, Financing Choice and Asymmetric Corporate Taxes
This paper provides a discrete-time framework for analyzing a firm's investment and financial choices under uncertainty. The investment decision is incremental and subject to a parameterized degree of irreversibility. Corporate taxes are asymmetric, but we allow imperfect carry-forward or carry-back of losses. Personal taxes are also levied. The paper focusses on the impact of various tax rules and corporate borrowing constraints on the firm's choices particularly the desired capital stock. The paper also highlights the effects of depreciation, interest rates, and personal taxes. Numerical simulations complement the analytical results to illustrate when taxes and borrowing constraints matter the most.
|Date of creation:||11 May 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth J. McKenzie, 1994.
"The Implications of Risk and Irreversibility for the Measurement of Marginal Effective Tax Rates on Capital,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 604-19, August.
- McKenzie, K.J., 1992. "The Implications of Risk and Irreversibility for the Measurement of Marginal Effective Tax Rates of Capital," Papers 137, Calgary - Department of Economics.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, .
"A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
14-93, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Mackie-Mason, Jeffrey K., 1990. "Some nonlinear tax effects on asset values and investment decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 301-327, August.
- Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 1996.
"Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 237-273, October.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1995. "Tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cummins, J.G. & Hassett, K.A. & Hubbard, R.G., 1995. "tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," Working Papers 95-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Green, Richard C & Talmor, Eli, 1985. " The Structure and Incentive Effects of Corporate Tax Liabilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1095-114, September.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Keen, Michael & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1994.
"Corporation tax asymmetries and investment : Evidence from U.K. panel data,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 395-418, March.
- Michael Devereux, 1991. "Corporation Tax Asymmetries and Investment: Evidence from UK Panel Data," Working Papers 820, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mayer, Colin, 1986. "Corporation Tax, Finance and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 93-112, January.
- Mauer, David C & Triantis, Alexander J, 1994. " Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions: A Dynamic Framework," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1253-77, September.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
- Keen, Michael & Shiantarelli, Fabio, 1991. "Corporation Tax Asymmetries and Optimal Financial Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(2), pages 280-91, April.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Shum, Pauline M, 1994. "Tax Asymmetry and Investment Horizon," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 49(3), pages 427-39.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Dammon, Robert M & Senbet, Lemma W, 1988. " The Effect of Taxes and Depreciation on Corporate Investment and Financial Leverage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 357-73, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:faig-96-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.