Economic adjustment in the Baltic Countries
Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand out for their rapid economic adjustment after the outbreak of the global financial crisis. The reduction of imbalances and vulnerabilities in the Baltic countries has been much faster than that in the euro area countries most affected by the debt crisis. Our analysis seeks to explain these developments by addressing the following questions. First, what explains the recent cyclical pattern of the Baltic economies? Second, what are the similarities and differences between the economic adjustment in the Baltics and that in the euro area countries most affected by the recent debt crisis? And, finally, how successful has the strategy of adjustment been in the Baltic countries? We argue that the primary driving force of the cyclical developments in the Baltic economies has been the change in capital flows. A comparison of the economic adjustment in the Baltic countries with that in the three euro area countries strongly affected by the debt crisis – Ireland, Greece and Portugal – suggests that the main determinant of the speed of adjustment has been the ability of the countries to mitigate the impact of the sudden stop in private sector capital flows. Looking at the pros and cons of rapid and gradual adjustment, we conclude that in the case of the Baltic countries, the strategy of rapid adjustment has overall been a successful response to a very difficult situation
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Aguiar & Gita Gopinath, 2004.
"Emerging market business cycles: the cycle is the trend,"
04-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Mark Aguiar & Gita Gopinath, 2007. "Emerging Market Business Cycles: The Cycle Is the Trend," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 69-102.
- Mark Aguiar & Gita Gopinath, 2004. "Emerging Market Business Cycles: The Cycle is the Trend," NBER Working Papers 10734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neumeyer, Pablo A. & Perri, Fabrizio, 2005.
"Business cycles in emerging economies: the role of interest rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 345-380, March.
- Pablo A. Neumeyer & Fabrizio Perri, 2001. "Business Cycles in Emerging Economies:The Role of Interest Rates," Working Papers 01-12, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Neumeyer, Pablo Andrés & Perri, Fabrizio, 2004. "Business Cycles in Emerging Economies: The Role of Interest Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 4482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pablo Andres Neumeyer & Fabrizio Perri, 1999. "Business Cycles in Emerging Economies: the role of interest rates," Department of Economics Working Papers 014, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Pablo A. Neumeyer & Fabrizio Perri, 2004. "Business Cycles in Emerging Economies: The Role of Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 10387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pablo A. Neumeyer & Fabrizio Perri, 2004. "Business cycles in emerging economies: the role of interest rates," Staff Report 335, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Laura Vartia & Andreas Woergoetter, 2009.
"Capital Inflows, Household Debt And The Boom Bust Cycle In Estonia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp965, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Laura Vartia & Andreas Wörgötter, 2009. "Capital Inflows, Household Debt and the Boom-bust Cycle in Estonia," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 700, OECD Publishing.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000.
"Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1164, Econometric Society.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002. "Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Sonsoles Gallego & Sándor Gardó & Reiner Martin & Luis Molina & José María Serena, 2010. "The Impact of the Global Economic and Financial Crisis on Central Eastern and SouthEastern Europe (CESEE) and Latin America," Banco de Espa�a Occasional Papers 1002, Banco de Espa�a.
- Aguiar, Mark & Gopinath, Gita, 2007. "Emerging Market Business Cycles: The Cycle is the Trend," Scholarly Articles 11988098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2013-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Peeter Luikmel to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.