Structural Error Correction Model: A Bayesian Perspective
This paper proposes a Structural Error Correction Model (SECM) that allows concurrent estimation of the structural parameters and analysis of cointegration. We amalgamate the Bayesian methods of Kleibergen and Paap (2002) for analysis of cointegration in the ECM, and the Bayesian methods of Waggoner and Zha (2003) for estimating the structural parameters in BSVAR into our proposed model. Empirically, we apply the SCEM to four data generating processes, each with a different number of cointegrating vector. The results show that in each of the DGPs, the Bayes factors are able to select the appropriate cointegrating vectors and the estimated marginal posterior parametersâ€™ pdfs cover the actual values. Key words: structural error correction model
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleibergen, Frank & van Dijk, Herman K., 1994. "On the Shape of the Likelihood/Posterior in Cointegration Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 514-551, August.
- Strachan, R., 2000.
"Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
6/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Strachan, Rodney W, 2003. "Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 185-95, January.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, .
"Gibbs sampling approach to cointegration,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1336, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sugita, K., 2001. "Bayesian Cointegration Analysis," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 591, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 1998.
"Priors, posteriors and Bayes factors for a Bayesian analysis of cointegration,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9821, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2002. "Priors, posteriors and bayes factors for a Bayesian analysis of cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Amisano, Gianni, 2003. "Bayesian inference in cointegrated systems," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 287-314, December.
- Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2000. "A Gibbs simulator for restricted VAR models," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2000-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1996. "What Does Monetary Policy Do?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(2), pages 1-78.
- Sims, Christopher A & Zha, Tao, 1998.
"Bayesian Methods for Dynamic Multivariate Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 949-68, November.
- Fisher, Lance A. & Huh, Hyeon-Seung & Summers, Peter M., 2000. "Structural Identification of Permanent Shocks in VEC Models: A Generalization," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 53-68, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:feam04:702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.