Asset prices, collateral and unconventional monetary policy in a DSGE model
In this paper we set up a New-Keynesian model that features an interbank market. The introduction of an interbank market is important to analyze liquidity problems among heterogenous agents within the financial sector. First, because this allows for a situation where increased liquidity supply by the central bank is only partially passed on to the interbank market. Second, this framework allows us to analyze one additional policy measure besides the common interest rate policy undertaken by central banks to alleviate the liquidity shortage on the interbank market. Namely haircuts on eligible assets in repurchase agreements (“Repos”). By varying haircuts applied to securities that serve as collateral in repurchase agreements the stress on the interbank market can be mitigated by bringing down the interest rate charged among banks. Furthermore an exogenous bubble process is modeled which enables us to examine the effects of a deviation of the market price of capital from its fundamental price. This leads to a discussion whether central banks should ”lean against the wind”, i.e. react to deviations of asset prices in the setting of their policy instrument. Finally, this paper tries to shed some light on the “exit strategy” that a central bank should follow after the asset price bubble bursted and the interbank market begins to work properly again. JEL Classification: E4, E5, E61, G21
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolae B. Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen & Adam B. Ashcraft, 2010.
"Two Monetary Tools: Interest-Rates and Haircuts,"
2010 Meeting Papers
1102, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adam Ashcraft & Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2010. "Two Monetary Tools: Interest Rates and Haircuts," NBER Working Papers 16337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashcraft, Adam & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2010. "Two Monetary Tools: Interest Rates and Haircuts," CEPR Discussion Papers 8000, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Freixas & José Jorge, 2007.
"The role of interbank markets in monetary policy: A model with rationing,"
Economics Working Papers
1027, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Xavier Freixas & José Jorge, 2008. "The Role of Interbank Markets in Monetary Policy: A Model with Rationing," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(6), pages 1151-1176, 09.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester & Winkler, Roland, 2014.
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 231-257.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Ester Faia & Roland Winkler, 2011. "Exit Strategies," Kiel Working Papers 1676, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Winkler, Roland C. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester, 2011. "Exit Strategies," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48734, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Roland Winkler & Ignazio Angeloni, 2011. "Exit Strategies," 2011 Meeting Papers 241, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester & Winkler, Roland, 2014. "Exit strategies," SAFE Working Paper Series 50, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester & Winkler, Roland C., 2010. "Exit strategies," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/25, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003.
"An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Research 35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Borgy, V. & Laubach, T. & Mésonnier, J-S. & Renne, J-P., 2011. "Fiscal Sustainability, Default Risk and Euro Area Sovereign Bond Spreads Markets," Working papers 350, Banque de France.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010.
"The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy," Staff Reports 463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Lawrence Christiano & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2007.
"Shocks, Structures or Monetary Policies? The Euro Area and US After 2001,"
NBER Working Papers
13521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christiano, Lawrence & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2008. "Shocks, structures or monetary policies? The Euro Area and US after 2001," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2476-2506, August.
- Christiano, Lawrence & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2007. "Shocks, structures or monetary policies? The euro area and US after 2001," Working Paper Series 0774, European Central Bank.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Hans Genberg & Sushil Wadhwani, 2002. "Asset Prices in a Flexible Inflation Targeting Framework," NBER Working Papers 8970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2009.
"Money, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 600-605, May.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005.
"House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 739-764, June.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002. "House prices, borrowing constraints and monetary policy in the business cycle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 542, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2004.
- Gertler, Mark & Karadi, Peter, 2011. "A model of unconventional monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Ian Christensen & Ali Dib, 2008. "The Financial Accelerator in an Estimated New Keynesian Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 155-178, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20111373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.