Physical Real Estate: A Paris Repeat Sales Residential Index
In this paper we present the repeat sales index methodology developed by Case and Shiller (1987) and its estimation problem. We particularly describe the problem arising from the time intervals construction for the estimation. We then apply this methodology to the Paris residential market. We use the CD-BIEN database that contains more than 220 000 repeat sales transactions for residential properties in the Paris area covering the period 1973-2001 period. This index based on returns is compared to the official one used in France for Paris based on single prices, the Notaires/INSEE index. We then underline the robustness of in the index estimation according to its periodicity by the way of the return and volatility estimation. The index sensibility to the time period is studied in the last part. We conclude that i) the estimation is quite robust whatever the estimation period is, and ii) this index is significantly different from the official residential index for Paris
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essec.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gatzlaff, Dean H & Haurin, Donald R, 1997. "Sample Selection Bias and Repeat-Sales Index Estimates," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 33-50, Jan.-Marc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Mokrane, Mahdi & Baroni, Michel, 2001. "Physical Real Estate : Risk Factors and Investor Behaviour," ERES eres2001_236, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Raimond Maurer & Martin Pitzer & Steffen Sebastian, 2004.
"Construction of a Transaction-Based Real Estate Index for the Paris Housing Market,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
68, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Maurer, Raimond & Pitzer, Martin & Sebastian, Steffen, 2001. "Construction of a Transaction Based Real Estate Index for the Paris Housing Market," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-17, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990.
"The Accuracy Of Real Estimate Indices: Repeat Sale Estimators,"
fb-_90-17, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Goetzmann, William Nelson, 1992. "The Accuracy of Real Estate Indices: Repeat Sale Estimators," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-53, March.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:essewp:dr-04007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.