Non-Tariff Measures and Indian Textiles and Clothing Exports
This paper provides some important indicators of non-tariff measures in Indian textiles and clothing exports. The paper identifies major trading partners and HS codes to study the impact of Non Taiff Measures (NTMs) on Indian exports. First, using count measures i.e. frequency and coverage ratios, suggests that more than 60% of export value is affected by the NTMs in USA, EU-25 and Canada at various points in time. Second, it calculates Ad-Valorem Equivalents using price differential methods which are imposed in the SMART model under the partial equilibrium framework to know the trade impact of NTMs. A total trade loss of about billion 2.34 US$ (16.8% of base trade value) is estimated, while the zero tariff gains are roughly billion 1.36 US$ thats 9.8% of base trade. Also this paper develops the framework for the primary research in the field of Non-Tariff Measures.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter K. Schott, 2008.
"The relative sophistication of Chinese exports,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 5-49, 01.
- Philip L. Paarlberg & John G. Lee, 1998. "Import Restrictions in the Presence of a Health Risk: An Illustration Using FMD," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 175-183.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004.
"Import demand elasticities and trade distortions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3452, The World Bank.
- Michael M. Knetter, 1994. "Why are Retail Prices in Japan so High?: Evidence from German Export Prices," NBER Working Papers 4894, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrigan, James, 2010.
"Airplanes and comparative advantage,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 181-194, November.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001.
"Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
01-wp291, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001. "Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 01-wp291, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Yoko Sazanami & Shujiro Urata & Hiroki Kawai, 1995. "Measuring the Costs of Protection in Japan," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 32.
- Nisha Taneja, 2007. "Trade Possibilities and Non-Tariff Barriers to Indo-Pak Trade," Trade Working Papers 22264, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hiau LooiKee & Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2009.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 172-199, 01.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006. "Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices," CEPR Discussion Papers 5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006. "Estimating trade restrictiveness indices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3840, The World Bank.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel & Mimouni, Mondher, 2007.
"The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements,"
18869, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné & Mondher Mimouni, 2007. "The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements," Working Papers 2007-04, CEPII research center.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Lionel Fontagné & Mondher Mimouni, 2008. "The Impact of Regulations on Agricultural Trade: Evidence from SPS and TBT Agreements," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00274619, HAL.
- Scott Bradford, 2003. "Paying the Price: Final Goods Protection in OECD Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 24-37, February.
- Phillip Swagel, 1995. "Import prices and the competing goods effect," International Finance Discussion Papers 508, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jane Korinek & Mark Melatos & Marie-Luise Rau, 2008. "A Review of Methods for Quantifying the Trade Effects of Standards in the Agri-Food Sector," OECD Trade Policy Papers 79, OECD Publishing.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely & Dean, Judith M. & Feinberg, Robert & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Ludema, Rodney & Tsigas, Marinos E., 2004. "The Effects of Non-Tariff Measures on Prices, Trade, and Welfare: CGE Implementation of Policy-Based Price Comparisons," Working Papers 15863, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:tradew:22407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.