Une décomposition de l'effet de la liberté économique sur la croissance dans les pays en développement
The lack of efficiency that characterized the economic policies of developing countries has prompted several economists to recommend a massive disengagement of the state of economic activity. Economic freedom is advanced as an alternative to development strategies more effective. Our work shows that the index of economic freedom hides the importance of its components and mask the importance of state intervention in developing countries. Through the method of Hansen, 2000, we show that for sizes of the State relating to scores above 5,956 (depending on the construction of the index of economic freedom), public investment should have a positive effect on growth.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Avenue de la République, Bât. G - 92001 Nanterre Cedex|
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengtsson, Mikael & Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik, 2005.
"Trust and Growth in the 1990s: A Robustness Analysis,"
Ratio Working Papers
60, The Ratio Institute.
- Bengtsson, Mikael & Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik, 2005. "Trust and Growth in the 1990s - A Robustness Analysis," Working Paper Series 2005:1, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hildegunn Ekroll Stokke, 2005. "Productivity Growth in Backward Economies and the Role of Barriers to Technology Adoption," Working Paper Series 4905, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Hamilton, Kirk & Clemens, Michael, 1999. "Genuine Savings Rates in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 333-356, May.
- Morrissey, Oliver, 2002. "Recipient Governments' Willingness and Ability to Meet Aid Conditionality: The Effectiveness of Aid Finance and Conditions," WIDER Working Papers UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Richard L. Stroup, 2003. "Economic freedom and environmental quality," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Oct, pages 73-90.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lundström, Susanna, 2001.
"Economic Freedom and Growth:Decomposing the Effects,"
Working Papers in Economics
33, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lundstrom, Susanna, 2002. "Economic Freedom and Growth: Decomposing the Effects," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 112(3-4), pages 335-344, September.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Alfredo Esposto & Peter Zaleski, 1999. "Economic Freedom and the Quality of Life: An Empirical Analysis," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 185-197, June.
- Chen, Sheng-Tung & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2005. "Government size and economic growth in Taiwan: A threshold regression approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1051-1066, December.
- Heckelman, Jac C & Stroup, Michael D, 2002. "Which Economic Freedoms Contribute to Growth? Reply," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 217-220.
- John Mukum Mbaku, 2003. "Entrenching Economic Freedom in Africa," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 23(2), pages 217-225, Fall.
- James D. Gwartney & Randall G. Holcombe & Robert A. Lawson, 2004. "Economic Freedom, Institutional Quality,and Cross-Country Differences in Income and Growth," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 205-233, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2008-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.