Transitional Dynamics in the Solow-Swan Growth Model with AK Technology and Logistic Population Change
This paper offers an alternative way, based on the logistic population growth hypothesis, to yield transitional dynamics in the standard AK model with exogenous savings rate. Within this framework, we show that the dynamics of the capital stock per person and its growth rate can be non-monotonic over time. Moreover, even in the presence of negative growth, the capital stock per-capita can converge to a strictly positive level (different from the initial level) when time goes to infinity. In general, the analysis allows us to conclude that the dynamics of the Solow-Swan model with linear technology and logistic population growth is richer than the one with exponential population growth.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio T. Rebelo, 1990.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Ventura, Jaume, 2001.
"The World Income Distribution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2973, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R & Yi, Kei-Mu, 1996. "A Simple Time Series Test of Endogenous vs. Exogenous Growth Models: An Application to the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 126-34, February.
- Christopher D Carroll & Jody Overland & David N Weil, 1997.
"Comparison Utility in a Growth Model,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
387, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Guerrini, Luca, 2006. "The Solow-Swan model with a bounded population growth rate," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 14-21, February.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R. & Yi, Kei-Mu, 1995. "Can convergence regressions distinguish between exogenous and endogenous growth models?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 211-215, August.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E, 1990. "A Convex Model of Equilibrium Growth: Theory and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1008-38, October.
- Gómez, Manuel A., 2008. "Convergence speed in the Ak endogenous growth model with habit formation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 16-21, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c014_020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.