Media Freedom and Democracy: Complements or Substitutes in the Fight against Corruption?
Democracy and media freedom have been suggested as useful tools in the ?ght against political corruption, but so far their interplay in this ?ght has received scant attention. We present a game theoretic model which predicts that the corruption-reducing e?ect of democracy becomes stronger as media freedom increases. Using panel data covering the period 1980-2008 and 126 countries, we ?nd empirical support for this prediction. Our main results hold when we control for the e?ects of income, time varying common shocks, regional ?xed e?ects and various additional covariates. The complementarity between democracy and media freedom in the ?ght against corruption is also supported by Indian state level data.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Road, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: +44-(0)1865 281447
Web page: http://www.csae.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
9411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2002. "Fractionalization," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1959, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2003. "Fractionalization," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/229724, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Alesina, Alberto & Devleeschauwer, Arnaud & Easterly, William & Kurlat, Sergio, 2002. "Fractionalization," Research Papers 1744, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Alesina, Alberto & Devleeschauwer, Arnaud & Wacziarg, Romain & Kurlat, Sergio & Easterly, William, 2003. "Fractionalization," Scholarly Articles 4553003, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Ferejohn, 1986. "Incumbent performance and electoral control," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 5-25, January.
- Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Hodler, Roland, 2010.
"Natural resources, democracy and corruption,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 608-621, May.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Roland Hodler, 2008. "Natural Resources, Democracy and Corruption," OxCarre Working Papers 020, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Roland Hodler, 2008. "Natural Resources, Democracy and Corruption," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1047, The University of Melbourne.
- Chowdhury, Shyamal K., 2004. "The effect of democracy and press freedom on corruption: an empirical test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 93-101, October.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Welch, Karen Horn, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Growth: New Evidence,"
1826, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ferraz, Claudio & Finan, Frederico S., 2007.
"Exposing Corrupt Politicians: The Effects of Brazil’s Publicly Released Audits on Electoral Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2836, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Claudio Ferraz & Frederico Finan, 2008. "Exposing Corrupt Politicians: The Effects of Brazil's Publicly Released Audits on Electoral Outcomes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(2), pages 703-745.
- Toke Aidt & Jayasri Dutta & Vania Sena, 2006.
"Governance Regimes, Corruption and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
15_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Aidt, Toke & Dutta, Jayasri & Sena, Vania, 2008. "Governance regimes, corruption and growth: Theory and evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-220, June.
- Hausman, Jerry & Stock, James H. & Yogo, Motohiro, 2005. "Asymptotic properties of the Hahn-Hausman test for weak-instruments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 333-342, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csa:wpaper:2012-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Payne)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.