Identifying Local Differences in Retirement Patterns
The ability to retire at an age and in a manner of one’s choosing depends on one’s ability to retain or find employment at older ages, which depends in turn on local labor market conditions. We investigate how local labor markets affect retirement transitions. We match households from the Health and Retirement Study to MSA unemployment rates and estimate multinomial logit regressions on annual job transitions.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (617) 552-1762
Fax: (617) 552-0191
Web page: http://crr.bc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sewin Chan & Ann Huff Stevens, 2003.
"What You Don't Know Can't Help You: Pension Knowledge and Retirement Decision Making,"
NBER Working Papers
10185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sewin Chan & Ann Huff Stevens, 2008. "What You Don't Know Can't Help You: Pension Knowledge and Retirement Decision-Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 253-266, May.
- Ann Huff Stevens & Sewin Chan, 2005. "What You Don’t Know Can’t Help You: Pension Knowledge and Retirement Decision Making," Working Papers 518, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert Hutchens, 2007. "Phased Retirement: Problems and Prospects," Work Opportunity Briefs wob_8, Center for Retirement Research, revised Feb 2007.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1990. "Bridge Jobs and Partial Retirement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 482-501, October.
- Leora Friedberg & Anthony Webb, 2003.
"Retirement and the Evolution of Pension Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chan, Sewin & Stevens, Ann Huff, 2001. "Job Loss and Employment Patterns of Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 484-521, April.
- Dan A. Black & Xiaoli Liang, 2005. "Local Labor Market Conditions and Retirement Behavior," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2005-8, Center for Retirement Research, revised May 2005.
- Michael T. Owyang & Jeremy M. Piger & Howard J. Wall, 2004.
"Business cycle phases in U.S. states,"
2003-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Mauricio Soto & Robert K. Triest & Natalia A. Zhivan, 2008. "How Much Do State Economics and Other Characteristics Affect Retirement Behavior?," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2008-12, Center for Retirement Research, revised Sep 2008.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1999. "What People Don't Know About Their Pensions and Social Security: An Analysis Using Linked Data from the Health and Retirement Study," NBER Working Papers 7368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric French, 2005.
"The Effects of Health, Wealth, and Wages on Labour Supply and Retirement Behaviour,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 395-427.
- Eric French, 2000. "The effects of health, wealth, and wages on labor supply and retirement behavior," Working Paper Series WP-00-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eric French, 2004. "The Effects of Health, Wealth and Wages on Labor Supply and Retirement Behavior," 2004 Meeting Papers 96, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2006-20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Topel, Robert H, 1986. "Local Labor Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S111-43, June.
- Sewin Chan & Ann Huff Stevens, 2002.
"How Does Job Loss Affect the Timing of Retirement?,"
NBER Working Papers
8780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chan Sewin & Stevens Ann H, 2004. "How Does Job Loss Affect the Timing of Retirement?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-26, May.
- Michael T. Owyang & Jeremy M. Piger & Howard J. Wall & Christopher H. Wheeler, 2007.
"The economic performance of cities: a Markov-switching approach,"
2006-056, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Owyang, Michael T. & Piger, Jeremy M. & Wall, Howard J. & Wheeler, Christopher H., 2008. "The economic performance of cities: A Markov-switching approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 538-550, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crr:crrwps:wp2008-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Grzybowski)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.