Strategic Tax Competition in Switzerland: Evidence from a Panel of the Swiss Cantons
Tax competition is discussed as a source of inefficiency in international taxation and in fiscal federalism. Two preconditions for the existence of such effects of tax competition are that mobile fac-tors locate or reside in jurisdictions with ? ceteris paribus ? lower tax rates and that taxes are actually set strategically in order to attract mobile production factors. It is well known from studies about Swiss cantonal and local income tax competition that Swiss taxpayers reside where income taxes are low. In this paper, empirical results on strategic tax setting by cantonal governments are presented for a panel of the Swiss cantons from 1984 to 1999. Completing the evidence on Swiss tax competition, the income tax rates in cantons are the lower, the lower are the tax rates of their neighbors.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gellerstrasse 24, 4052 Basel|
Web page: http://www.crema-research.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feld, Lars P. & Kirchgassner, Gebhard, 2003.
"The impact of corporate and personal income taxes on the location of firms and on employment: some panel evidence for the Swiss cantons,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 129-155, January.
- Lars P. Feld & Gebhard Kirchgässner, 2001. "The Impact of Corporate and Personal Income Taxes on the Location of Firms and on Employment: Some Panel Evidence for the Swiss Cantons," CESifo Working Paper Series 455, CESifo Group Munich.
- Timothy Besley & Michael Smart, 2005.
"Fiscal Restraints and Voter Welfare,"
STICERD - Political Economy and Public Policy Paper Series
06, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Martin Bodenstein & Heinrich Ursprung, 2001.
"Political Yardstick Competition, Economic Integration, and Constitutional Choice in a Federation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
501, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin Bodenstein & Heinrich Ursprung, 2005. "Political yardstick competition, economic integration, and constitutional choice in a federation:," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 124(3), pages 329-352, September.
- Helen F. Ladd, 1992. "Mimicking of Local Tax Burdens Among Neighboring Counties," Public Finance Review, , vol. 20(4), pages 450-467, October.
- Büttner, Thiess, 1998.
"Local Business Taxation and Competition for Capital: The Choice of the Tax Rate,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-43, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Buettner, Thiess, 2001. "Local business taxation and competition for capital: the choice of the tax rate," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 215-245, April.
- Thiess Buettner, 2001. "Local Business Taxation and Competition for Capital: The Choice of the Tax Rate," CESifo Working Paper Series 440, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 269-304, June.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2002.
"The New Systems Competition,"
NBER Working Papers
8747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liebig, Thomas & Puhani, Patrick A. & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2006.
"Taxation and Internal Migration: Evidence from the Swiss Census Using Community-Level Variation in Income Tax Rates,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2374, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Liebig & Patrick A. Puhani & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2007. "Taxation And Internal Migration-Evidence From The Swiss Census Using Community-Level Variation In Income Tax Rates," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 807-836.
- Liebig, Thomas & Puhani, Patrick A. & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2006. "Taxation And Internal Migration - Evidence From The Swiss Census Using Community-Level Variation In Income Tax Rates," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-348, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Feld, Lars P. & Kirchgassner, Gebhard, 2001.
"Income tax competition at the State and Local Level in Switzerland,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 181-213, April.
- Lars P. Feld & Gebhard Kirchgässner, 2000. "Income Tax Competition at the State and Local Level in Switzerland," CESifo Working Paper Series 238, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wilson, John Douglas & Wildasin, David E., 2004. "Capital tax competition: bane or boon," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1065-1091, June.
- Thomas Liebig & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2006. "The influence of taxes on migration: evidence from Switzerland," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 235-252, March.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1992.
"Incumbent Behavior: Vote Seeking, Tax Setting and Yardstick Competition,"
NBER Working Papers
4041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1995. "Incumbent Behavior: Vote-Seeking, Tax-Setting, and Yardstick Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1997.
"A Generalized Spatial Two Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances,"
Electronic Working Papers
97-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Aug 1997.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Schmidheiny, Kurt, 2003.
"Income Segregation and Local Progressive Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
248, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Schmidheiny, Kurt, 2006. "Income segregation and local progressive taxation: Empirical evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 429-458, February.
- Kurt Schmidheiny, 2004. "Income Segregation and Local Progressive Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland," CESifo Working Paper Series 1313, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kurt Schmidheiny, 2003. "Income Segregation and Local Progressive Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Switzerland," Diskussionsschriften dp0311, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Federico Revelli, 2005. "On Spatial Public Finance Empirics," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 475-492, August.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Saavedra, Luz A., 2001.
"Do Local Governments Engage in Strategic Property-Tax Competition?,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 2), pages 203-30, June.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Luz A. Saavedra, 2000. "Do Local Governments Engage in Strategic Property-Tax Competition?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0357, Econometric Society.
- Jean-Michel Josselin & Yvon Rocaboy & L.P. Feld, 2003. "Tax mimicking among regional juridictions," Post-Print halshs-00076681, HAL.
- Schaltegger, Christoph A & Kuttel, Dominique, 2002. "Exit, Voice, and Mimicking Behavior: Evidence from Swiss Cantons," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 113(1-2), pages 1-23, October.
- Anne Case, 1993. "Interstate tax competition after TRA86," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 136-148.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 1999. "Welfare Reform and the Race to the Bottom: Theory and Evidence," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 505-525, January.
- Feld, Lars P., 2000. "Steuerwettbewerb und seine Auswirkungen auf Allokation und Distribution," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 10, number urn:isbn:9783161473852, May.
- Salmon, Pierre, 1987.
"Decentralisation as an Incentive Scheme,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 24-43, Summer.
- SALMON, Pierre, 1987. "Decentralization as an incentive scheme," Institut des Mathématiques Economiques – Document de travail de l’I.M.E. (1974-1993) 98, Institut des Mathématiques Economiques. LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Saavedra, Luz Amparo, 2000. "A Model of Welfare Competition with Evidence from AFDC," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 248-279, March.
- Kirchgassner, Gebhard & Pommerehne, Werner W., 1996. "Tax harmonization and tax competition in the European Union: Lessons from Switzerland," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 351-371, June.
- Feld, Lars P, 2000. "Tax Competition and Income Redistribution: An Empirical Analysis for Switzerland," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 105(1-2), pages 125-64, October.
- Figlio, David N. & Kolpin, Van W. & Reid, William E., 1999. "Do States Play Welfare Games?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 437-454, November.
- Jean-Michel Josselin & Alain Marciano, 2003. "From economic to legal competition : New perspectives on European federalism," Post-Print halshs-00076679, HAL.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Smart, Michael, 2002. "Does Tax Competition Raise Voter Welfare?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Masayoshi Hayashi & Robin Boadway, 2001. "An empirical analysis of intergovernmental tax interaction: the case of business income taxes in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 481-503, May.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Cerniglia, Floriana & Revelli, Federico, 2003. "In search of yardstick competition: a spatial analysis of Italian municipality property tax setting," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 199-217, September.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Wrede, Matthias, 2001. "Yardstick competition to tame the Leviathan," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 705-721, November.
- Craig Brett & Joris Pinkse, 2000. "The determinants of municipal tax rates in British Columbia," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 695-714, August.
- Heyndels, Bruno & Vuchelen, Jef, 1998. "Tax Mimicking Among Belgian Municipalities," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 1), pages 89-101, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cra:wpaper:2005-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna-Lea Werlen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.