Multivariate Choice and Identification of Social Interactions
In this paper, we investigate the impact of peers on own outcomes where all agents embedded in a network choose more than one activity. We develop a simple network model that illustrates these issues. We differentiate between the ‘seemingly unrelated’ simultaneous equations model where people are influenced only by others within the same activity, the ‘triangular’ simultaneous equations model, where there is some asymmetry in the peers’ cross effects, and the ‘square’ simultaneous equations model, where all possible cross-choice effects are taken into account. We develop the conditions under which each model is identified, showing that the general ‘square’ simultaneous equations model with both simultaneity effect and cross-choice peer effect cannot be identified without any exclusion restrictions. We then study the impact of peer effects on education and screen activities and show that the estimated within- and cross-choice peer effects both have non-trivial impacts on adolescent behavior. We find, in particular, that, keeping peers’ grades and screen activities fixed, watching more TV could be beneficial to a student’s grade.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eleonora Patacchini & Yves Zenou, 2012.
"Juvenile Delinquency and Conformism,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-31.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Linda Datcher Loury, 2002.
"Job Information Networks, Neighborhood Effects and Inequality,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0217, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Linda Datcher Loury, 2004. "Job Information Networks, Neighborhood Effects, and Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1056-1093, December.
- Xiaodong Liu & Eleonora Patacchini & Yves Zenou & Lung-Fei Lee, 2012.
"Criminal Networks: Who is the Key Player?,"
2012.39, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Liu, Xiaodong & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves & Lee, Lung-Fei, 2011. "Criminal Networks: Who is the Key Player?," Research Papers in Economics 2011:7, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Liu, Xiaodong & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2011. "Criminal Networks: Who is the Key Player?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8185, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Liu, Xiaodong & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2012. "Criminal Networks: Who is the Key Player?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8772, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2004. "Estimation of simultaneous systems of spatially interrelated cross sectional equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 27-50.
- Cohen-Cole, Ethan, 2006. "Multiple groups identification in the linear-in-means model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 157-162, August.
- Yannis M. Ioannides, 2012. "From Neighborhoods to Nations: The Economics of Social Interactions," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 9892.
- Bramoulle, Yann & Kranton, Rachel, 2007. "Public goods in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 478-494, July.
- Jason Fletcher, 2012. "Peer influences on adolescent alcohol consumption: evidence using an instrumental variables/fixed effect approach," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 1265-1286, October.
- Mohamed Belhaj & Frédéric Deroïan, 2010.
"Competing Activities in Social Networks,"
- Giacomo De Giorgi & Michele Pellizzari & Silvia Redaelli, 2010. "Identification of Social Interactions through Partially Overlapping Peer Groups," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 241-75, April.
- Liu, Xiaodong & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2011.
"Peer Effects in Education, Sport, and Screen Activities: Local Aggregate or Local Average?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- eleonora patacchini & Yves Zenou & Xiaodong Liu, 2012. "Peer effects in education, sport and screen activities: local aggregate or local average?," 2012 Meeting Papers 1198, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lung-fei Lee & Xiaodong Liu & Xu Lin, 2010. "Specification and estimation of social interaction models with network structures," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(2), pages 145-176, 07.
- Lee, Lung-fei, 2007. "Identification and estimation of econometric models with group interactions, contextual factors and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 333-374, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.