The impact of dark trading and visible fragmentation on market quality
Two important characteristics of current equity markets are the large number of trading venues with publicly displayed order books and the substantial fraction of trading that takes place in the dark, outside such visible order books. This paper evaluates the impact of dark trading and fragmentation in visible order books on liquidity. We consider global liquidity by consolidating the limit order books of all visible trading venues, and local liquidity by considering the traditional market only. We find that fragmentation in visible order books improves global liquidity, whereas dark trading has a detrimental effect. In addition, local liquidity is lowered by fragmentation in visible order books, which suggests that the benefits of fragmentation are not enjoyed by market participants who resort only to the traditional market.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Biais, Bruno & Martimort, David & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1998.
"Competing Mechanisms in a Commun Value Environment,"
IDEI Working Papers
75, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bruno Biais & David Martimort & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Competing Mechanisms in a Common Value Environment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 799-838, July.
- Sabrina Buti & Barbara Rindi & Ingrid M. Werner, 2011. "Dark Pool Trading Strategies," Working Papers 421, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alain P. Chaboud & Benjamin Chiquoine & Erik Hjalmarsson & Clara Vega, 2009. "Rise of the machines: algorithmic trading in the foreign exchange market," International Finance Discussion Papers 980, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2009.
"Liquidity cycles and make/take fees in electronic markets,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
920, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2013. "Liquidity Cycles and Make/Take Fees in Electronic Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(1), pages 299-341, 02.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2009. "Liquidity cycles and make/take fees in electronic markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 7551, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2009. "Liquidity Cycles and Make/Take Fees in Electronic Markets," Working Papers hal-00489430, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2013. "Liquidity Cycles and Make/Take Fees in Electronic Markets," Post-Print hal-00789263, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault, 2010.
"Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems,"
- Thierry Foucault & Albert J. Menkveld, 2008. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(1), pages 119-158, 02.
- Foucault, Thierry & Menkveld, Albert, 2006. "Competition for order flow and smart order routing systems," Les Cahiers de Recherche 831, HEC Paris.
- Foucault, Thierry & Menkveld, Albert J., 2006. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," CEPR Discussion Papers 5523, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & Albert J. Menkveld, 2008. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," Post-Print hal-00459801, HAL.
- Buti, Sabrina & Rindi, Barbara & Werner, Ingrid M., 2010. "Diving into Dark Pools," Working Paper Series 2010-10, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Estelle Cantillon & Pai-Ling Yin, 2011.
"Competition between Exchanges: A research Agenda,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/99386, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fink, Jason & Fink, Kristin E. & Weston, James P., 2006. "Competition on the Nasdaq and the growth of electronic communication networks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 2537-2559, September.
- Michael J. Barclay & William G. Christie & Jeffrey H. Harris & Eugene Kandel & Paul H. Schultz, 1999. "Effects of Market Reform on the Trading Costs and Depths of Nasdaq Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 1-34, 02.
- Ferrarini, Guido & Wymeersch, Eddy (ed.), 2006. "Investor Protection in Europe: Corporate Law Making, The MiFID and Beyond," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199202911, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8630. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.