Trading Fees and Efficiency in Limit Order Markets
Competition among trading platforms has considerably reduced trading fees in stock markets. We show that this evolution is not necessarily beneficial to investors. Although they increase gains from trade when a trade happens, lower trading costs can induce investors to post limit orders with a smaller execution probability. In this case, gains from trade are realized less frequently and investors can be worse off. Our model has testable implications for the effects of trading fees and their breakdown between liquidity suppliers and liquidity demanders on limit order fill rates and bid-ask spreads. The Author 2012. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org., Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 25 (2012)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www4.oup.co.uk/revfin/subinfo/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1993.
"Intermediation in Search Markets,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 97-120, Spring.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2013.
"Liquidity Cycles and Make/Take Fees in Electronic Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(1), pages 299-341, 02.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2009. "Liquidity cycles and make/take fees in electronic markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 7551, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2009. "Liquidity cycles and make/take fees in electronic markets," Les Cahiers de Recherche 920, HEC Paris.
- Cantillon, Estelle & Yin, Pai-Ling, 2011.
"Competition between exchanges: A research agenda,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 329-336, May.
- Foucault, Thierry & Menkveld, Albert, 2006.
"Competition for order flow and smart order routing systems,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
831, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Albert J. Menkveld, 2008. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(1), pages 119-158, 02.
- Foucault, Thierry & Menkveld, Albert J., 2006. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," CEPR Discussion Papers 5523, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cantillon, Estelle & Yin, Pai-Ling, 2008. "Competition between Exchanges: Lessons from the Battle of the Bund," CEPR Discussion Papers 6923, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:rfinst:v:25:y:2012:i:11:p:3389-3421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.