Dynamic externalities, local industrial structure and economic development: panel data evidence for Morocco
Bun M. J. G. and El Makhloufi A. (2007) Dynamic externalities, local industrial structure and economic development: panel data evidence for Morocco, Regional Studies 41, 823-837. The impact of industrial structure on local economic development is analysed for the case of Morocco. Using annual data for six urban areas and 18 industrial sectors indicators for specialization, diversity and competition of firms within a particular region are constructed for the years 1985-1995. The effects of these and other explanatory variables on local economic activity are estimated using a dynamic panel data model with both individual and time-specific effects. The estimation results suggest significant positive specialization and diversity effects and significant negative competition effects asserting the importance of industrial structure for local economic development. The empirical evidence is robust to the measure of economic activity used in the analysis, i.e. either employment or value added. A similar analysis is conducted restricting the space to the region of Casablanca. Using data on seven districts and 18 sectors for the period 1992-1995 again significant externalities are found within this specific region. Bun M. J. G. et El Makhloufi A. (2007) Les effets externes dynamiques, la structure industrielle locale et le developpement economique: des donnees permanentes pour le Maroc, Regional Studies 41, 823-837. Cet article cherche a analyser l'impact de la structure industrielle sur le developement economique local au Maroc. A partir des donnees annuelles aupres de 6 zones urbaines et 18 secteurs industriels, on construit des indicateurs de specialisation, de diversite et de competition pour les entreprises situees au sein d'une region donnee entre 1985 et 1995. Employant un modele dynamique fonde sur des donnees permanentes et dote des effets individuels et decales dans le temps, on estime l'impact de ces variables-la et des autres variables explicatives sur l'activite e
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Lucio, Juan J. & Herce, Jose A. & Goicolea, Ana, 2002. "The effects of externalities on productivity growth in Spanish industry," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 241-258, March.
- J. Vernon Henderson & Ari Kuncoro & Matthew Turner, 1992.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
4178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpd:pd2002:d5-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.