A different approach to WTO negotiations in services
International negotiations on the liberalisation of service trade are concentrated at non-tariff barriers (NTBs). National government measures form important obstacles for service providers when they want to access foreign markets. International studies predict substantial welfare benefits from removing trade obstacles for services. Negotiations on lowering these obstacles are complicated because government regulations are seldom strictly oriented at keeping foreign firms out their domestic service markets. Some of them (e.g. quantity-based restrictions) are clearly at odds with WTO principles. We argue however that in most cases regulators primarily aimed at correcting domestic market failures with disregard for the potential repercussions for foreign providers of services. In negotiations this problem can be approached by introducing economic necessity tests, but that is a very long and tedious process. We propose a different negotiation approach based on lessons learned from WTO negotiations on agricultural support measures.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 80510, 2508 GM Den Haag|
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Whalley, 2003.
"Assessing the Benefits to Developing Countries of Liberalization in Services Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
10181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Whalley, 2004. "Assessing the Benefits to Developing Countries of Liberalisation in Services Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(8), pages 1223-1253, 08.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M Stern, 2001.
"CGE Modeling and Analysis of Multilateral and Regional Negotiating Options,"
468, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2001. "CGE Modeling and Analysis of Multilateral and Regional Negotiating Options," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0108, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Rajesh Chadha & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2001.
"Computational Analysis of the Impact on India of the Uruguay Round and the Forthcoming WTO Trade Negotiations,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0107, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Chadha, R. & Brown, D.K. & Deardorff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 2000. "Computational Analysis of the Impact on India of the Uruguay Round and the Forthcoming WTO Trade Negotiations," Working Papers 459, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Rajesh Chadha & Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2000. "Computational Analysis of the Impact on India of the Uruguay Round and the Forthcoming WTO Trade Negotiations," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 312, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Devashish Mitra, 1999. "Endogenous Lobby Formation and Endogenous Protection: A Long-Run Model of Trade Policy Determination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1116-1134, December.
- Sherman Robinson & Zhi Wang & Will Martin, 2002. "Capturing the Implications of Services Trade Liberalization," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 3-33.
- Rayner, A J & Ingersent, K A & Hine, R C, 1993. "Agriculture in the Uruguay Round: An Assessment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1513-27, November.
- Markusen, James R, 1989. "Trade in Producer Services and in Other Specialized Intermediate Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 85-95, March.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow & Tiem Phamduc, 2003. "Measuring the Cost of Barriers to Trade in Services," NBER Chapters, in: Trade in Services in the Asia Pacific Region, NBER East Asia Seminar on Economics (EASE), Volume 11, pages 11-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Verikios & Xiao-guang Zhang, 2001. "Global Gains from Liberalising Trade in Telecommunications and Financial Services," Others 0110005, EconWPA.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Primo Braga, Carlos A., 1997.
"Protection and trade in services : a survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1747, The World Bank.
- Walmsley, Terri Louise & Winters, L. Alan, 2003.
"Relaxing the Restrictions on the Temporary Movements of Natural Persons: A Simulation Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3719, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Walmsley, Terrie L. & Winters, L. Alan, 2005. "Relaxing the Restrictions on the Temporary Movement of Natural Persons: A Simulation Analysis," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 688-726.
- repec:fth:michin:459 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpb:discus:36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.