Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents
This paper examines the long-run behavior of an overlapping-generations model with a population consisting of altruistic and non-altruistic agents. It also studies the effect of fiscal policy on aggregate capital accumulation and on the welfare of both types of agents. It shows that an increase in the relative number of non-altruists is Pareto-improving in the steady-state. It also shows that the introduction of public debt or unfunded social security has no effect on the long-run equilibrium but implies a transfer of resources from the non-altruistic to the altruistic agents. Finally, it indicates that inheritance taxation hurts not only the altruists but also the nonaltruists.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Michel, Philippe, 1990. "Some Clarifications on the Transversality Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 705-23, May.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52.
- Roberto Perotti, 1993. "Political Equilibrium, Income Distribution, and Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 755-776.
- Galor, Oded, 1986. "Time preference and international labor migration," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Arrondel, L. & Masson, A. & Pestieau, P., 1996.
"Bequest and inheritance: empirical issues and France-U.S. comparison,"
DELTA Working Papers
96-19, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Arrondel, L. & Masson, A. & Pestieau, P., . "Bequests and inheritance: empirical issues and France-U.S. comparison," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1274, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haltiwanger, John & Waldman, Michael, 1993.
"The role of altruism in economic interaction,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Weil, Philippe, 1987. "Love thy children : Reflections on the Barro debt neutrality theorem," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 377-391, May.
- Wolff, Edward N, 1996. "International Comparisons of Wealth Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(4), pages 433-51, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Altig, David & Davis, Steven J, 1992.
"The Timing of Intergenerational Transfers, Tax Policy, and Aggregate Savings,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1199-220, December.
- David Altig & Steve J. Davis, 1991. "The Timing of Intergenerational Transfers, Tax Policy, and Aggregate Savings," NBER Working Papers 3753, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Altig & Steven J. Davis, 1989. "The timing of intergenerational transfers, tax policy, and aggregate savings," Working Paper 8917, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Laitner, John, 1992. "Random earnings differences, lifetime liquidity constraints, and altruistic intergenerational transfers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 135-170, December.
- Rao Aiyagari, S., 1989.
"Equilibrium existence in an overlapping generations model with altruistic preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 130-152, February.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1987. "Equilibrium existence in an overlapping generations model with altruistic preferences," Working Papers 356, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- Muller, Walter III & Woodford, Michael, 1988. "Determinacy of equilibrium in stationary economies with both finite and infinite lived consumers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 255-290, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1994049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.