Dynamic efficiency and intergenerational altruism
Can dynamic inefficiency that may occur in societies populated by non altruistic agents be removed by introducing intergenerational altruism ? Although the answer (see Abel, 1987, AER or Weil, 1987, JME) seems to be negative, this paper shows, by means of a simple example, that the presence of an arbitrarily low proportion of altruists can be sufficient to prevent a society from reaching a non Pareto optimal equilibrium. Intergenerational transfers from the old to the young can therefore provide an alternative ---to public debt, fiat money or money bubbles which transfer goods from the young to the old--- solution to the dynamic efficiency problem. (Copyright: Elsevier)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Marina Azzimonti, Department of Economics, Stonybrook University, 10 Nicolls Road, Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luisa Fuster, 2000. "Capital Accumulation in an Economy with Dynasties and Uncertain Lifetimes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 650-674, October.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Barro, Robert J., 1974. "Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?," Scholarly Articles 3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU , Pierre, 1994. "Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents," CORE Discussion Papers 1994049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006. "On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(1), pages 55-76.
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006. "On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096034, HAL.
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2001. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 230-255, January.
- Nourry, C. & Vendetti, A., 1998. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogenous Agents," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Thibault, E., 1999. "Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a43, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Emmanuel THIBAULT, 2001. "Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Rapoport, Hillel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2007. "Economic growth and endogenous intergenerational altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1231-1246, August.
- Hillel Rapoport & Jean-Pierre Vidal, 2003. "Economic Growth and Endogenous Intergenerational Altruism," Working Papers 2003-04, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Thibault, 2000. "Existence of equilibrium in an OLG model with production and altruistic preferences," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(3), pages 709-715.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2000. "Political Equilibria with Social Security," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(1), pages 41-78, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)