Dynamic efficiency and intergenerational altruism
Can dynamic inefficiency that may occur in societies populated by non altruistic agents be removed by introducing intergenerational altruism ? Although the answer (see Abel, 1987, AER or Weil, 1987, JME) seems to be negative, this paper shows, by means of a simple example, that the presence of an arbitrarily low proportion of altruists can be sufficient to prevent a society from reaching a non Pareto optimal equilibrium. Intergenerational transfers from the old to the young can therefore provide an alternative ---to public debt, fiat money or money bubbles which transfer goods from the young to the old--- solution to the dynamic efficiency problem. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Marina Azzimonti, Department of Economics, Stonybrook University, 10 Nicolls Road, Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luisa Fuster, 2000. "Capital Accumulation in an Economy with Dynasties and Uncertain Lifetimes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 650-674, October.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU , Pierre, 1994. "Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents," CORE Discussion Papers 1994049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Emmanuel Thibault, 2000. "Existence of equilibrium in an OLG model with production and altruistic preferences," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(3), pages 709-715.
- Thibault, E., 1999.
"Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism,"
99a43, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Emmanuel THIBAULT, 2001. "Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2001.
"Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogeneous Agents,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 230-255, January.
- Nourry, C. & Vendetti, A., 1998. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogenous Agents," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Hillel Rapoport & Jean-Pierre Vidal, 2003.
"Economic Growth and Endogenous Intergenerational Altruism,"
2003-04, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2007. "Economic growth and endogenous intergenerational altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1231-1246, August.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2000. "Political Equilibria with Social Security," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(1), pages 41-78, January.
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006.
"On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006. "On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(1), pages 55-76.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:07-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.