Dynamic efficiency and intergenerational altruism
Can dynamic inefficiency that may occur in societies populated by non altruistic agents be removed by introducing intergenerational altruism ? Although the answer (see Abel, 1987, AER or Weil, 1987, JME) seems to be negative, this paper shows, by means of a simple example, that the presence of an arbitrarily low proportion of altruists can be sufficient to prevent a society from reaching a non Pareto optimal equilibrium. Intergenerational transfers from the old to the young can therefore provide an alternative ---to public debt, fiat money or money bubbles which transfer goods from the young to the old--- solution to the dynamic efficiency problem. (Copyright: Elsevier)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/RED17.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU , Pierre, 1994.
"Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MICHEL, Ph. & PESTIEAU, P., . "Fiscal policy in a growth model with both altruistic and nonaltruistic agents," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1301, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thibault, E., 1999.
"Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism,"
99a43, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Emmanuel THIBAULT, 2001. "Bequests and the Intergenerational Degree of Altruism," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Hillel Rapoport & Jean-Pierre Vidal, 2003.
"Economic Growth and Endogenous Intergenerational Altruism,"
2003-04, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2007. "Economic growth and endogenous intergenerational altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1231-1246, August.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Nourry, C. & Vendetti, A., 1998.
"Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogenous Agents,"
98a02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2001. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in an Overlapping Generations Model with Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 230-255, January.
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006.
"On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(1), pages 55-76.
- Cuong Le Van & Lisa Morhaim, 2006. "On optimal growth models when the discount factor is near 1 or equal to 1," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096034, HAL.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
- Emmanuel Thibault, 2000. "Existence of equilibrium in an OLG model with production and altruistic preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 709-715.
- Luisa Fuster, 2000. "Capital Accumulation in an Economy with Dynasties and Uncertain Lifetimes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 650-674, October.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2000. "Political Equilibria with Social Security," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(1), pages 41-78, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:07-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.