Fiscal policy in a growth model with bequest-as-consumption
This paper analyses a growth model wherein saving results from bequestas-consumption. It first looks at the market equilibrium and at the optimal solution. Then it turns to the issue of decentralizing the optimal solution with various taxes and transfers. Depending on the available instruments, either a first-best or a second-best optimum can be achieved. Throughout the paper the results are contrasted with those obtained in the standard altruistic (dynastic) model and in the overlapping generation model without intergenerational transfers.
|Date of creation:||00 Feb 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU , Pierre, 1994.
"Fiscal Policy in a Growth Model with Both Altruistic and Non Altruistic Agents,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MICHEL, Ph. & PESTIEAU, P., . "Fiscal policy in a growth model with both altruistic and nonaltruistic agents," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1301, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B, 1992. "Public versus Private Investment in Human Capital Endogenous Growth and Income Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 818-34, August.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Atkinson, A B & Sandmo, A, 1980. "Welfare Implications of the Taxation of Savings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(359), pages 529-49, September.
- Michel, Philippe & Pestieau, Pierre, 1999.
" Fiscal Policy When Individuals Differ With Regard to Altruism and Labor Supply,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 1(2), pages 187-203.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Fiscal policy when individuals differ with regard to altruism and labor supply," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1381, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Louis Kaplow, 2000. "A Framework for Assessing Estate and Gift Taxation," NBER Working Papers 7775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2001009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.