Economies of Scale and Imperfect Competition in an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy
Recently some researchers have suggested that economies of scale and imperfect competition play a major role in determining the effects of exogenous policy shocks. Thus they have emphasised the need to incorporate industrial organisation features into computable general equilibrium (CGE) models. However, our knowledge of this new paradigm is still in its infancy it is not yet clear how models of this type should be specified and to what extent their predictions are sensitive to the choice of specification. This paper describes a 23-sector CGE model of the Australian economy, based on ORANI and on Horridge (1987a and 1987b), which incorporates economies of scale and imperfect competition. The model is used to investigate whether adding these new features affects simulation results. We present results for three different types of non-competitive regime and compare these with results generated by a traditional (constant returns and perfect competition) version of the same model.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Cory & Mark Horridge, 1985. "A Harris-style miniature version of ORANI," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-54, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-1032, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries: Do Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies Matter?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 283-287, May.
- Hertel, Thomas & Lanclos, D. Kent & Thursby, Marie, 1991. "General Equilibrium Effects of Trade Liberalization in the Presence of Imperfect Competition," 1991 Conference, August 22-29, 1991, Tokyo, Japan 183247, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Randall Wigle, 1988. "General Equilibrium Evaluation of Canada-U.S. Trade Liberalization in a Global Context," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 539-564, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)