The Colombian Sovereign Spread And Its Determinants
The surge in Colombian sovereign international bond issues during the 1990s has created an increasing need for the Colombian Government and the Banco de la República to understand the dynamics and the determinants of the sovereign spread. This is the first comprehensive study of the Colombian sovereign spread and its determinants. It shows that contagion and spillovers play an important part in the determination of the spread, particularly in the short term. A study of daily spread changes between 1998 and 2003 using an OLS regression framework finds contagion, changes in the US stock market and changes in the Colombian exchange rate to significantly influence the spread. A study of the long-term determinants of the spread uses a Johansen framework of multivariate cointegration together with monthly data from 1998 to 2002, and finds exports, the exchange rate, the economic growth rate and the US T-Bill rate as significant explanatory variables of the spread. A weakness of the study, as with all single-country studies, is that the time period is too short to study variables published only with annual frequency, and some such variables have, indeed, by cross-country studies been shown to significantly influence the spread. Such variables include, for example, the debt ratio and the debt-service ratio.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dooley, Michael & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Kletzer, Kenneth, 1996.
"Is the Debt Crisis History? Recent Private Capital Inflows to Developing Countries,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(1), pages 27-50, January.
- Dooley, Michael & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Kletzer, Kenneth & DEC, 1994. "Is the debt crisis history? Recent private capital inflows to developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1327, The World Bank.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1989.
"A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt,"
12491028, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jeremy A.Rogoff Bulow & Kenneth, 1986. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 43, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1986. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," NBER Working Papers 2088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1998.
"Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
209, David K. Levine.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993.
"Af1uencia de capital y apreciacion del tipo de cambio real en America Latina: E1 papel de los factores externos
[Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of Ex," MPRA Paper 13681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1993. "Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 108-151, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993. "“Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors," MPRA Paper 7125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen Reinhart & Guillermo Calvo, 1992. "Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors," IMF Working Papers 92/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Hajivassiliou, V. A., 1989.
"Do the secondary markets believe in life after debt?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
252, The World Bank.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou, 1989. "Do the Secondary Markets Believe in Life After Debt?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 911, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Álvaro Rojas O. & Felipe Jaque S., 2003. "Determinants of the Chilean Sovereign Spread: is it Purely Fundamentals?," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 137-163, July-Dece.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, July.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1986.
"The pure theory of country risk,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 481-513, June.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Taylor, Lance, 1986. "Developing country finance and debt," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 209-265, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1998. "What Explains Changing Spreads on Emerging-Market Debt: Fundamentals or Market Sentiment?," NBER Working Papers 6408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:108:y:1993:i:4:p:967-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Takatoshi Ito & Anne O. Krueger, 2001. "Regional and Global Capital Flows: Macroeconomic Causes and Consequences, NBER-EASE Volume 10," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ito_01-1, December.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- Mody, Ashoka & Yuko Kinoshita, 1997. "The usefulness of private and public information for foreign investment decisions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1733, The World Bank.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996.
"Determinants and impacts of sovereign credit ratings,"
9608, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 37-53.
- Guillermo Larraín & Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1997. "Emerging Market Risk and Sovereign Credit Ratings," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 124, OECD Publishing.
- Budina, Nina & Mantchev, Tzvetan, 2000. "Determinants of Bulgarian Brady bond prices - an empirical assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2277, The World Bank.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Hong G. Min, 1998. "Determinants of emerging market bond spread : do economic fundamentals matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1899, The World Bank.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Park, Yung Chul & Claessens, Stijn, 2000. "Contagion: Understanding How It Spreads," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 177-97, August.
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-52, June.
- Peter Rowland & José Luis Torres Trespalacios, 2004.
"Determinants Of Spread And Creditworthiness For Emerging Market Sovereign Debt: A Panel Data Study,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002337, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Peter Rowland & José Luis Torres, . "Determinants of Spread and Creditworthiness for Emerging Market Sovereign Debt:A Panel Data Study," Borradores de Economia 295, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 1996.
"Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of a death foretold,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 235-264, November.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1996. "Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of death foretold," International Finance Discussion Papers 545, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2001.
"Bank Lending and Contagion: Evidence from the Asian Crisis,"
in: Regional and Global Capital Flows: Macroeconomic Causes and Consequences, NBER-EASE Volume 10, pages 73-99
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2001. "Bank Lending and Contagion: Evidence from the Asian Crisis," MPRA Paper 7580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul R. Masson, 1998. "Contagion: Monsoonal Effects, Spillovers, and Jumps Between Multiple Equilibria," IMF Working Papers 98/142, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- António Afonso, 2002. "Understanding the Determinants of Government Debt Ratings: Evidence for the Two Leading Agencies," Working Papers Department of Economics 2002/02, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:003572. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.