Buyback Of Colombian Sovereign Debt
At a request from the Ministry of Finance, Banco de la República last year carried out an investigation into the feasibility to use parts of the foreign reserves to buy back some of Colombia’s outstanding sovereign U.S.-dollar debt. This project resulted in two thorough technical reports. This paper aims to complement these reports by a general discussion on the subject. Even if many economists will find the discussion and the empirical results interesting, the main target group of the paper is professionals and policy makers without a background in Economics or Finance. The paper discusses emerging market debt in general, the Colombian debt in particular, and the current level of the Colombian foreign reserves. It, thereafter, continues by discussing buyback of sovereign debt, and what a country could gain or lose from such a buyback and why. The paper also includes a cross-country empirical analysis of the relationship between the sovereign spread of the outstanding debt of a country and its foreign reserve levels.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hajivassiliou, V. A., 1989.
"Do the secondary markets believe in life after debt?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
252, The World Bank.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou, 1989. "Do the Secondary Markets Believe in Life After Debt?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 911, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Mody, Ashoka & Yuko Kinoshita, 1997. "The usefulness of private and public information for foreign investment decisions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1733, The World Bank.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Taylor, Lance, 1986. "Developing country finance and debt," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 209-265, June.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988.
"Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?,"
NBER Working Papers
2623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1998. "Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget," Levine's Working Paper Archive 209, David K. Levine.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Working papers 8813, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Papers 411, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jeremy A.Rogoff Bulow & Kenneth, 1986.
"A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
43, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1986. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," NBER Working Papers 2088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1989. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," Scholarly Articles 12491028, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- António Afonso, 2002. "Understanding the Determinants of Government Debt Ratings: Evidence for the Two Leading Agencies," Working Papers Department of Economics 2002/02, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Peter Rowland & José Luis Torres, .
"Determinants of Spread and Creditworthiness for Emerging Market Sovereign Debt:A Panel Data Study,"
Borradores de Economia
295, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Peter Rowland & José Luis Torres Trespalacios, 2004. "Determinants Of Spread And Creditworthiness For Emerging Market Sovereign Debt: A Panel Data Study," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002337, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1996.
"Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of death foretold,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
545, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 1996. "Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of a death foretold," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 235-264, November.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1986.
"The pure theory of country risk,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 481-513, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1998. "What Explains Changing Spreads on Emerging-Market Debt: Fundamentals or Market Sentiment?," NBER Working Papers 6408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben-Bassat, Avraham & Gottlieb, Daniel, 1992. "Optimal international reserves and sovereign risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 345-362, November.
- Peter Rowland, 2004. "The Colombian Sovereign Spread And Its Determinants," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003572, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Álvaro Rojas O. & Felipe Jaque S., 2003. "Determinants of the Chilean Sovereign Spread: is it Purely Fundamentals?," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 137-163, July-Dece.
- Hong G. Min, 1998. "Determinants of emerging market bond spread : do economic fundamentals matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1899, The World Bank.
- Ozler, Sule, 1992. "The evolution of credit terms : An empirical study of commercial bank lending to developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 79-97, January.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "The Buyback Boondoggle," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(2), pages 675-704.
- Stijn Claessens & Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1993. "Secondary Market Prices and Mexico's Brady Deal," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 965-982.
- Budina, Nina & Mantchev, Tzvetan, 2000. "Determinants of Bulgarian Brady bond prices - an empirical assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2277, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:002073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.