Mortgage Interest Rates, Country Risk and Maturity Matching in Colombia
In this paper, we examine the determinants of mortgage loans interest rates in Colombia during the period January 2002 - June 2006. We find that the main macroeconomic determinant is public debt interest rates. At the micro level, we find that credit risk is the main determinant. We demonstrate and analyze the tight relationship between country risk and mortgage debt interest rates. This relationship has been growing over time, as banks have increased their share of long-term liabilities in an effort to reduce the maturity mismatch that characterized their balance sheets prior to the 1998-99 financial crisis. Nevertheless, the reduction in the maturity mismatch has left mortgage rates more exposed to country risk variations.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Badel & Mauricio Cárdenas, 2003.
"La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: causas y consecuencias,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
7642, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mauricio Cardenas & Alejandro Badel, 2003. "La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: Causas y consecuencias," Research Department Publications 4355, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Frank E. Nothaft & James L. Freund, 2003. "The Evolution of Securitization in Multifamily Mortgage markets and Its Effect on lending Rates," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 25(2), pages 91-112.
- Nothaft, Frank E. & Perry, Vanessa G., 2002. "Do mortgage rates vary by neighborhood? Implications for loan pricing and redlining," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 244-265, September.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Alejandro Badel F., 2003. "La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: causas y consecuencias," COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA, FEDESARROLLO, September.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2008.
"Crises in Emerging Markets Economies: A Global Perspective,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Kevin Cowan & Sebastián Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdés & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt- (ed.), Current Account and External Financing, edition 1, volume 12, chapter 3, pages 085-115
Central Bank of Chile.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2005. "Crises in Emerging Market Economies: A Global Perspective," NBER Working Papers 11305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo Calvo, 2007. "Crises in Emerging Market Economies: A Global Perspective," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 441, Central Bank of Chile.
- James McGibany & Farrokh Nourzad, 2004. "Do lower mortgage rates mean higher housing prices?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 305-313.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2002. "Globalization Hazard and Delayed Reform in Emerging Markets," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 1-31, January.
- Heuson, Andrea & Passmore, Wayne & Sparks, Roger, 2001. "Credit Scoring and Mortgage Securitization: Implications for Mortgage Rates and Credit Availability," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 337-363, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000089:004544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.