House Prices and Monetary Policy in Colombia
This paper investigates the possible responses of an inflation-targeting monetary policy in the face of asset price deviations from fundamental values. Focusing on the housing sector of the Colombian economy, we consider a general equilibrium model with frictions in credit market and bubbles in housing prices. We show that monetary policy is less efficient when it responds directly to asset price of housing than a policy that reacts only to deviations of expected inflation (CPI) from target. Some prudential regulation may provide a better outcome in terms of output and inflation variability.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jack Selody & Carolyn Wilkins, 2004. "Asset Prices and Monetary Policy: A Canadian Perspective on the Issues," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2004(Autumn), pages 3-14.
- Nicoletta Batini & Andrew Haldane, 1999.
"Forward-Looking Rules for Monetary Policy,"
in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 157-202
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alejandro Badel & Mauricio Cárdenas, 2003.
"La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: causas y consecuencias,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
7642, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mauricio Cardenas & Alejandro Badel, 2003. "La crisis de financiamiento hipotecario en Colombia: Causas y consecuencias," Research Department Publications 4355, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Aoki, Kosuke & Proudman, James & Vlieghe, Gertjan, 2004.
"House prices, consumption, and monetary policy: a financial accelerator approach,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 414-435, October.
- Kosuke Aoki & James Proudman & Gertjan Vlieghe, 2002. "House prices, consumption, and monetary policy: a financial accelerator approach," Bank of England working papers 169, Bank of England.
- Aoki, Kosuke & James Proudman & Gertjan Vlieghe, 2003. "House prices, consumption, and monetary policy: a financial accelerator approach," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 7, Royal Economic Society.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, 2001. "Flujos De Capital Y Régimenes Cambiarios En La Década De Los 90," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Javier Gómez & José Darío Uribe & Hernando Vargas, 2002.
"The Implementation Of Inflation Targeting In Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003603, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Javier Gómez & José Darío Uribe & Hernando Vargas, . "The Implementation of Inflation Targeting in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 202, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Olivier Jeanne & Michael D. Bordo, 2002.
"Monetary Policy and Asset Prices; Does "Benign Neglect" Make Sense?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Bordo, Michael D & Jeanne, Olivier, 2002. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices: Does 'Benign Neglect' Make Sense?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 139-64, Summer.
- Richard Dennis, 2000. "Optimal simple targeting rules for small open economies," Working Paper Series 2000-20, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.