Dynamic Correlations, Estimation Risk, and Porfolio Management During the Financial Crisis
We evaluate alternative multivariate models of dynamic correlations in terms of realized out-of-sample Sharpe ratios for an active portfolio manager who rebalances a portfolio of international equities on a daily basis. The evaluation period covers the recent financial crisis which was marked by increased volatility and correlations across international stock markets. Our results show that international correlations fluctuate considerably from day to day, but we find no evidence of decoupling between emerging and developed stock markets. We also find that the recursively updated dynamic correlation models display remarkably stable parameter estimates over time, but that none yields statistically better portfolio performances than the naive diversification benchmark strategy. The results clearly show the erosive effects of model estimation risk and transactions costs, the benefits of limiting short sales, and the far greater importance of including a risk-free security in the asset mix whether or not market turbulence is high.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casado del Alisal, 5, 28014 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.cemfi.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Jondeau & Michael Rockinger, 2006. "The Economic Value of Distributional Timing," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-35, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francq, Christian & Horvath, Lajos & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2009.
"Merits and drawbacks of variance targeting in GARCH models,"
15143, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Francq & Lajos Horváth, 2011. "Merits and Drawbacks of Variance Targeting in GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(4), pages 619-656.
- Christian FRANCQ & Lajos HORVATH & Jean-Michel ZAKOIAN, 2009. "Merits and Drawbacks of Variance Targeting in GARCH Models," Working Papers 2009-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005.
"A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, "undated". "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LOGMVSKEWT: RATS procedure to compute function for log density of multivariate skew-t distribution," Statistical Software Components RTS00107, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert & Colacito, Riccardo, 2006. "Testing and Valuing Dynamic Correlations for Asset Allocation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 238-253, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cmf:wpaper:wp2011_1103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Araceli Requerey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.