Risk, Timing and Overoptimism in Private Placements and Public Offerings
We examine whether risk, timing or mispricing hypotheses can explain the underperformance of private and public equity issuers, in Canada, where both categories share several common characteristics. Adding an investment risk factor to the TFPM reduces, but does not eliminate, the underperformance. Four arguments, including financial constraints and poor operating performance, do not support the timing hypothesis. Our results for their part support the mispricing hypothesis. The market correctly assesses the investment projects of value firms, but tends to overestimate those of glamour firms. For both types of issues, the underperformance is explained by investors' overoptimism relative to glamour/high-investment firms. Nous tentons de vérifier laquelle des hypothèses de risque, de timing ou d'irrationalité peut expliquer la sous performance à long terme des émetteurs de placement privés et public au Canada, où ces deux types de financement ont en commun plusieurs caractéristiques. L'ajout d'un facteur d'investissement au modèle à trois facteurs réduit, mais n'élimine pas, cette sous performance. Quatre arguments, incluant ceux des contraintes financières et de la faible performance opérationnelle contredisent l'hypothèse du timing. Nos résultats tendent à confirmer l'hypothèse de l'irrationalité. Le marché évalue correctement les projets d'investissement des sociétés de valeur, mais sur estime ceux des titres de croissance. Pour les deux types de financement, la sous performance est expliquée par le sur optimisme des investisseurs au sujet des entreprises de croissance à fort niveau d'investissement.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1130 rue Sherbrooke Ouest, suite 1400, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2M8|
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ozgur S. Ince & R. Burt Porter, 2006. "INDIVIDUAL EQUITY RETURN DATA FROM THOMSON DATASTREAM: HANDLE WITH CARE!," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(4), pages 463-479.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1997. " The Operating Performance of Firms Conducting Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1823-50, December.
- Michael R. King & Maksym Padalko, 2005.
"Pre-Bid Run-Ups Ahead of Canadian Takeovers: How Big Is the Problem?,"
Staff Working Papers
05-3, Bank of Canada.
- Michael R. King, 2009. "Prebid Run-Ups Ahead of Canadian Takeovers: How Big Is the Problem?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(4), pages 699-726, December.
- François Derrien & Ambrus Kecskés, 2007. "The Initial Public Offerings of Listed Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 447-479, 02.
- Tim Jenkinson & William Wilhelm, 2001.
"Global Integration in Primary Equity Markets: The Role of U.S. Banks and U.S. Investors,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2001-FE-06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alexander P. Ljungqvist & Tim Jenkinson & William J. Wilhelm, Jr., 2003. "Global Integration in Primary Equity Markets: The Role of U.S. Banks and U.S. Investors," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 63-99.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Tim Jenkinson & William Wilhelm, 2001. "Global Integration in Primary Equity Markets: The Role of U.S. Banks and U.S. Investors," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe06, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Evgeny Lyandres & Le Sun & Lu Zhang, 2005. "Investment-Based Underperformance Following Seasoned Equity Offerings," NBER Working Papers 11459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helwege, Jean & Liang, Nellie, 2004. "Initial Public Offerings in Hot and Cold Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 541-569, September.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R., 2000. "Uniformly least powerful tests of market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 361-389, March.
- Krishnamurthy, Srinivasan & Spindt, Paul & Subramaniam, Venkat & Woidtke, Tracie, 2005. "Does investor identity matter in equity issues? Evidence from private placements," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 210-238, April.
- Michael J. Gombola & Hei Wai Lee & Feng-Ying Liu, 1999. "Further Evidence on Insider Selling Prior to Seasoned Equity Offering Announcements: The Role of Growth Opportunities," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5&6), pages 621-649.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-67, September.
- Philip Brown & Gerry Gallery & Olivia Goei, 2006. "Does market misvaluation help explain share market long-run underperformance following a seasoned equity issue?," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 46(2), pages 191-219.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1995. " The New Issues Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 23-51, March.
- J B Heaton, 2002. "Managerial Optimism and Corporate Finance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Welch, Ivo & Wong, T. J., 1998. "Earnings management and the underperformance of seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 63-99, October.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- François Derrien & Ambrus Kecskes, 2007. "The Initial Public Offerings of Listed Firms," Post-Print hal-00480837, HAL.
- Armando Gomes & Gordon Phillips, 2005. "Why Do Public Firms Issue Private and Public Securities?," NBER Working Papers 11294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amy Dittmar & Anjan Thakor, 2007. "Why Do Firms Issue Equity?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 1-54, 02.
- Kent Daniel & David Hirshleifer & Avanidhar Subrahmanyam, 1998. "Investor Psychology and Security Market Under- and Overreactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 1839-1885, December.
- Dalia Marciukaityte & Samuel H. Szewczyk & Raj Varma, 2005. "Investor Overoptimism And Private Equity Placements," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(4), pages 591-608.
- Zacharakis, Andrew L. & Shepherd, Dean A., 2001. "The nature of information and overconfidence on venture capitalists' decision making," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 311-332, July.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Masulis, Ronald W. & Norli, Oyvind, 2000. "Seasoned public offerings: resolution of the 'new issues puzzle'," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 251-291, May.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- MING DONG & David Hirshleifer & SCOTT RICHARSON & Siew Hong Teoh, 2004.
"Does Investor Misvaluation Drive the Takeover Market?,"
- Ming Dong & David Hirshleifer & Scott Richardson & Siew Hong Teoh, 2006. "Does Investor Misvaluation Drive the Takeover Market?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 725-762, 04.
- Murray Carlson & Adlai Fisher & Ron Giammarino, 2006. "Corporate Investment and Asset Price Dynamics: Implications for SEO Event Studies and Long-Run Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1009-1034, 06.
- Mathew L. A. Hayward & Dean A. Shepherd & Dale Griffin, 2006. "A Hubris Theory of Entrepreneurship," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(2), pages 160-172, February.
- David J. Brophy & Paige P. Ouimet & Clemens Sialm, 2004. "PIPE Dreams? The Performance of Companies Issuing Equity Privately," NBER Working Papers 11011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P. & Nanda, Vikram & Singh, Rajdeep, 2001.
"Hot Markets, Investor Sentiment and IPO Pricing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan Clarke & Craig Dunbar & Kathleen Kahle, 2004. "The Long-Run Performance of Secondary Equity Issues: A Test of the Windows of Opportunity Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 575-604, July.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Hauser, Shmuel & Kraizberg, Elli & Dahan, Ruth, 2003. "Price behavior and insider trading around seasoned equity offerings: the case of majority-owned firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 183-199, March.
- Robyn McLaughlin & Assem Safieddine & Gopala K. Vasudevan, 1996. "The Operating Performance of Seasoned Equity Issuers: Free Cash Flow and Post-Issue Performance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(4), Winter.
- David J. Brophy & Paige P. Ouimet & Clemens Sialm, 2009. "Hedge Funds as Investors of Last Resort?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 541-574, February.
- Marcia Millon Cornett & Hamid Mehran & Hassan Tehranian, 1998. "Are Financial Markets Overly Optimistic about the Prospects of Firms That Issue Equity? Evidence from Voluntary versus Involuntary Equity Issuances by Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2139-2159, December.
- L'Her, Jean-Francois & Masmoudi, Tarek & Suret, Jean-Marc, 2004. "Evidence to support the four-factor pricing model from the Canadian stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 313-328, October.
- Michael Hertzel & Michael Lemmon & James S. Linck & Lynn Rees, 2002. "Long-Run Performance following Private Placements of Equity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2595-2617, December.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Spiess, D. Katherine & Affleck-Graves, John, 1995. "Underperformance in long-run stock returns following seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 243-267, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2007s-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.