Designing a Performance Indicator to Economize on Monopoly Subsidy
We provide a continuum of subsidy rules based on a performance indicator that induce a monopoly to choose the socially optimal production level. These subsidy rules result in a reduction of the amount of subsidy paid to the monopolist compared to the standard case where a constant subsidy rate is used. The subsidy rate depends on a state variable that reflects the monopolist's history of performance. This variable depreciates over time, therefore requiring a permanent effort of the monopolist to maintain it at an optimal level. In an example with a linear demand and no production cost, the subsidy costs of inducing efficiency are reduced by almost fifty per cent. On montre qu'il existe un continuum de règles de subvention basées sur un indice de performance qui peuvent inciter un monopoleur à produire la quantité qui maximise le bien-être social. Avec ces règles, le gouvernement paie un montant total qui est de beaucoup inférieur à celui qu'il devrait payer dans le cas standard d'un taux d'aide constante. Le taux de subvention variable dépend de la valeur d'un stock qui reflète l'histoire de performance du monopoleur.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1130 rue Sherbrooke Ouest, suite 1400, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2M8|
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, Junio.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, Junio.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 2002.
"Selective Penalization Of Polluters: An Inf-Convolution Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ngo Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 2005. "Selective penalization of polluters: an inf-convolution approach," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 25(2), pages 421-454, 02.
- Karp, Larry, 1995.
"Depreciation Erodes the Coase Conjecture,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt1fs6j5nn, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, L., 1992. "Depreciation erodes the coase conjecture," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9210, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Jaques Laffont, 1985.
"Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms,"
368, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998.
"Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997. "Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-21, CIRANO.
- Malueg, David A & Solow, John L, 1989. "A Note on Welfare in the Durable-Goods Monopoly," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(224), pages 523-27, November.
- Baron, David P & Myerson, Roger B, 1982.
"Regulating a Monopolist with Unknown Costs,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 911-30, July.
- Schwermer, Sylvia, 1994. "Regulating Oligopolistic Industries: A Generalized Incentive Scheme," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 97-108, February.
- Rees, R. & Vickers, J., 1991. "RPI-X Price Cap Regulation," Working Papers 1992-01, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1978.
"Taxing price makers,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 423-455, December.
- Loeb, Martin & Magat, Wesley A, 1979. "A Decentralized Method for Utility Regulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 399-404, October.
- Ballard, Charles L & Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1985. "General Equilibrium Computations of the Marginal Welfare Costs of Taxes in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 128-38, March.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1976. "The Marginal Cost of Public Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(2), pages 283-98, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2004s-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.