China’s Development Finance to Africa: A Media-Based Approach to Data Collection
How big is China’s aid to Africa? Does it complement or undermine the efforts of traditional donors? China releases little information, and outside estimates of the size and nature of Chinese aid vary widely. In an effort to overcome this problem, AidData, based at the College of William and Mary, has compiled a database of thousands of media reports on Chinese-backed projects in Africa from 2000 to 2011. The database includes information on 1,673 projects in 51 African countries and on $75 billion in commitments of official finance. This paper describes the new database methodology, key findings, and possible applications of the data, which is being made publicly available for the first time. The paper and database offer a new tool set for researchers, policymakers, journalists, and civil-society organizations working to understand China’s growing role in Africa. The paper also discusses the challenges of quantifying Chinese development activities, introduces AidData’s Media-Based Data Collection (MBDC) methodology, provides an overview of Chinese development finance in Africa as tracked by this new database, and discusses the potential and limitations of MBDC as a resource for tracking development finance. This working paper accompanies the release of AidData’s Chinese Official Finance to Africa Dataset, Version 1.0, available for download at http://china.aiddata.org/datasets/1.0, and a live, interactive database platform (at http://china.aiddata.org). AidData’s MBDC methodology is also available for download at http://china.aiddata.org/MBDC_codebook.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2011.
"Are ‘New’ Donors Different? Comparing the Allocation of Bilateral Aid Between nonDAC and DAC Donor Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1950-1968.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2010. "Are 'new' donors different? Comparing the allocation of bilateral aid between non-DAC and DAC donor countries," Kiel Working Papers 1601, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2010. "Are ‘New’ Donors Different? Comparing the Allocation of Bilateral Aid between Non-DAC and DAC Donor Countries," KOF Working papers 10-255, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2010. "Are ‘New’ Donors Different? Comparing the Allocation of Bilateral Aid between Non-DAC and DAC Donor Countries," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 25, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2010. "Are 'New' Donors Different? Comparing the Allocation of Bilateral Aid between Non-DAC and DAC Donor Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 9, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Yin‐Wong Cheung & Jakob de Haan & Xingwang Qian & Shu Yu, 2012. "China's Outward Direct Investment in Africa," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 201-220, 05.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Jakob de Haan & XingWang Qian & Shu Yu, 2011. "China's Outward Direct Investment in Africa," Working Papers 132011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yongzheng Yang & Nkunde Mwase, 2012. "BRICsâ€™ Philosophies for Development Financing and their Implications for LICs," IMF Working Papers 12/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Axel Dreher & Andreas Fuchs, 2011. "Rogue Aid? The Determinants of China's Aid Allocation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3581, CESifo Group Munich.
- Axel Dreher & Andreas Fuchs, 2011. "Rogue Aid? The Determinants of China’s Aid Allocation," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 93, Courant Research Centre PEG, revised 29 Feb 2012.
- Axel Dreher & Andreas Fuchs, 2011. "Rogue Aid? The Determinants of China’s Aid Allocation," Working Papers CEB 11-035, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mona Lyne & Daniel Nielson & Michael Tierney, 2009. "Controlling coalitions: Social lending at the multilateral development banks," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 407-433, December.
- Shellman, Stephen M., 2008. "Coding Disaggregated Intrastate Conflict: Machine Processing the Behavior of Substate Actors Over Time and Space," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 464-477, September.
- Nkunde Mwase, 2011. "Determinants of Development Financing Flows From Brazil, Russia, India, and China to Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 11/255, International Monetary Fund.
- Giles Mohan, 2008. "China in Africa: A Review Essay," Review of African Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(115), pages 155-173, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)