Behavioral Aspects of Arbitrageurs in Timing Games of Bubbles and Crashes
We model a timing game of bubbles and crashes a la Abreu and Brunnermeier (2003), in which arbitrageurs compete with each other to beat the gun in a stock market. However, unlike Abreu and Brunnermeier, instead of assuming sequential awareness,the present paper assumes that with a small probability, each arbitrageur is behavioral and committed to ride the bubble at all times. We show that with incomplete information, even rational arbitrageurs are willing to ride the bubble. In particular, the bubble can persist for a long period as the unique Nash equilibrium outcome.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hitoshi Matsushima, 2010.
"Financing Harmful Bubbles,"
CARF-F-227, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- D. Abreu & F. Gul, 1998.
"Bargaining and Reputation,"
Princeton Economic Theory Papers
00s9, Economics Department, Princeton University.
- Morris, Stephen & Shin, Hyun Song, 1997.
"Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-fulfilling Currency Attacks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1687, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morris, Stephen & Shin, Hyun Song, 1998. "Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 587-97, June.
- Morris, S & Song Shin, H, 1996. "Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," Economics Papers 126, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Tirole, Jean, 1982. "On the Possibility of Speculation under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1163-81, September.
- Abreu, Dilip & Brunnermeier, Markus K., 2002. "Synchronization risk and delayed arbitrage," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 341-360.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272, March.
- David Kreps & Paul Milgrom & John Roberts & Bob Wilson, 2010.
"Rational Cooperation in the Finitely Repeated Prisoners' Dilemma,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
239, David K. Levine.
- Kreps, David M. & Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John & Wilson, Robert, 1982. "Rational cooperation in the finitely repeated prisoners' dilemma," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 245-252, August.
- Allen F. & Morris S. & Postlewaite A., 1993. "Finite Bubbles with Short Sale Constraints and Asymmetric Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 206-229, December.
- Allen, Franklin & Gorton, Gary, 1993. "Churning Bubbles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 813-36, October.
- Dilip Abreu & Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2003.
"Bubbles and Crashes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 173-204, January.
- Conlon, John R., 2003. "Hope springs eternal: learning and the stability of cooperation in short horizon repeated games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 35-65, September.
- Jose A. Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2003. "Overconfidence and Speculative Bubbles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1183-1219, December.
- Harrison, J Michael & Kreps, David M, 1978. "Speculative Investor Behavior in a Stock Market with Heterogeneous Expectations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 323-36, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfi:fseres:cf144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.