The Citizen-Candidate Model with Imperfect Policy Control
We examine the two-candidate equilibria of the citizen-candidate model when the implemented policy arises from a compromise between the government and an unelected external power. We show that the equilibria of this model differ significantly from the original: the distance between the candidates’ policies, both ideal and implemented, remains strictly above a threshold. Thus, the median voters’ ideal policy may not obtain in contested elections if policy control is imperfect, even when the cost of running as a candidate is arbitrarily small.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roelfsema, Hein, 2007.
"Strategic delegation of environmental policy making,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 270-275, March.
- H.J. Roelfsema, 2004. "Strategic Delegation of Environmental Policy Making," Working Papers 04-11, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Sandro Brusco & Jaideep Roy, 2007.
"Aggregate Uncertainty in the Citizen Candidate Model Yields Extremist Parties,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
07-03, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Sandro Brusco & Jaideep Roy, 2011. "Aggregate uncertainty in the citizen candidate model yields extremist parties," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Sandro Brusco & Jaideep Roy, 2008. "Aggregate Uncertainty in the Citizen-Candidate Model Yields Extremist Parties," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 08-11, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Fatum, Rasmus, 2006. "One monetary policy and 18 central bankers: The European monetary policy as a game of strategic delegation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 659-669, May.
- John E. Roemer, 2004.
"Indeterminacy of Citizen-candidate Equilibrium,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm350, Yale School of Management.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:1:p:85-114 is not listed on IDEAS
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994. "Representative democracy and capital taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 53-70, September.
- Bard Hastad, 2007.
"Strategic Delegation and Voting Rules,"
1442, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Colin Jennings & Hein Roelfsema, 2008.
"Civil Conflict, Federalism and Strategic Delegation of Leadership,"
0803, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Colin Jennings & Hein Roelfsema, 2008. "Civil Conflict, Federalism and Strategic Delegation of Leadership," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 45(4), pages 557-573, July.
- Jennings, Colin & Roelfsema, Hein, 2008. "Civil conflict, federalism and strategic delegation of leadership," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-16, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Dhillon, Amrita & Lockwood, Ben, 2002. " Multiple Equilibria in the Citizen-Candidate Model of Representative Democracy," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(2), pages 171-84.
- Christopher Chambers, 2007. "Citizen-candidates, lobbies, and strategic campaigning," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 285-309, November.
- repec:oup:restud:v:59:y:1992:i:4:p:689-701 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:68:y:2001:i:1:p:67-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hamlin, Alan & Hjortlund, Michael, 2000. " Proportional Representation with Citizen Candidates," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 103(3-4), pages 205-30, June.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 2002. "Political Economics: Explaining Economic Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262661314, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3900. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.