Organized Crime and Foreign Direct Investment: The Italian Case
This paper examines the impact of organized crime on the regional distribution of foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows into Italy. The incidence of crime has been calculated considering the number of complaints for different crimes. The analysis shows how the correlation between organized crime is both negative and significant. This relationship appears strong even when a financial investment incentives indicator is included into the regressions. Furthermore, such a correlation between crime and FDI seems to be valid only for certain crimes, traditionally related to the presence of organized crime of the Mafia type. Although our analysis shows that organized crime is, in itself, a disincentive for investment, it also suggests that certain levels of crime can be perceived by foreign investors as a signal of an unfavorable business climate.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konings, Jozef, 2004. "The employment effects of foreign direct investment," EIB Papers 4/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Aikaterini Kokkinou & Ioannis Psycharis, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investments, Regional Incentives and Regional Attractiveness in Greece," ERSA conference papers ersa04p559, European Regional Science Association.
- Lionel Artige & Rosella Nicolini, 2005.
"Evidence on the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of Three European Regions,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
655.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Lionel Artige & Rosella Nicolini, 2006. "Evidence on the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment. The Case of Three European Regions," CREPP Working Papers 0607, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003.
"How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00268770, HAL.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01019657, HAL.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000. "How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Uppenberg, Kristian & Riess, Armin, 2004. "Determinants and growth effects of foreign direct investment," EIB Papers 3/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten, 2007.
"Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 397-415, June.
- Hefeker, Carsten & Busse, Matthias, 2005. "Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment," HWWA Discussion Papers 315, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2005. "Attracting Foreign Investments in Europe - are Italian Regions Doomed?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p148, European Regional Science Association.
- Daniele V., 2005. "Perché le imprese estere non investono al Sud?," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 795-818.
- Taylor, William E., 1980. "Small sample considerations in estimation from panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 203-223, June.
- Mayer, Thierry, 2004. "Where do foreign firms locate in France and why?," EIB Papers 7/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2006.
"Multinationals' Location Choice, Agglomeration Economies, and Public Incentives,"
International Regional Science Review,
, vol. 29(1), pages 81-107, January.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GORG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, 2003. "Multinationals' location choice, agglomeration economies and public incentives," CORE Discussion Papers 2003017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Habib, M. & Zurawicki, L., 2001. "Country-level investments and the effect of corruption -- some empirical evidence," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 687-700, December.
- Roberto, Basile, 2004.
"Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-25, January.
- Roberto Basile, 2002. "Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy," ISAE Working Papers 27, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Basile Roberto & Castellani Davide & Zanfei Antonello, 2004. "La localizzazione delle imprese multinazionali in Europa: il ruolo delle politiche dell'UE e le peculiarità dell'Italia," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 571-596.
- Marco Committeri, 2004. "Investire in Italia? Risultati di una recente indagine empirica," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 491, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Peri Giovanni, 2004. "Socio-Cultural Variables and Economic Success: Evidence from Italian Provinces 1951-1991," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-36, September.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Local Corruption and Global Capital Flows," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(2), pages 303-354.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Roberto Basile, 2002. "The Locational Determinants of Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants in Italy: Preliminary Results," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(4), pages 61-92, July-Augu.
- Vittorio Daniele, 2007. "Incentivi economici e disincentivi di contesto: gli investimenti esteri nel Mezzogiorno," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 5-34.
- Agiomirgianakis, G. M. & Asteriou, D. & Papathoma, K., 2003. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: a panel data study for the OECD countries," Working Papers 03/06, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Basile R. & Giunta A., 2005. "La localizzazione degli investimenti diretti esteri in Italia: vincoli istituzionali, Mezzogiorno e politiche di attrazione," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 771-794.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 2004. "Agglomeration, regional grants and firm location," IFS Working Papers W04/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.