Organized Crime and Foreign Direct Investment: The Italian Case
This paper examines the impact of organized crime on the regional distribution of foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows into Italy. The incidence of crime has been calculated considering the number of complaints for different crimes. The analysis shows how the correlation between organized crime is both negative and significant. This relationship appears strong even when a financial investment incentives indicator is included into the regressions. Furthermore, such a correlation between crime and FDI seems to be valid only for certain crimes, traditionally related to the presence of organized crime of the Mafia type. Although our analysis shows that organized crime is, in itself, a disincentive for investment, it also suggests that certain levels of crime can be perceived by foreign investors as a signal of an unfavorable business climate.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konings, Jozef, 2004. "The employment effects of foreign direct investment," EIB Papers 4/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Roberto, Basile, 2004.
"Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-25, January.
- Roberto Basile, 2002. "Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy," ISAE Working Papers 27, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Lionel Artige & Rosella Nicolini, 2005.
"Evidence on the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of Three European Regions,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
655.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Lionel Artige & Rosella Nicolini, 2006. "Evidence on the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment. The Case of Three European Regions," CREPP Working Papers 0607, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Aikaterini Kokkinou & Ioannis Psycharis, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investments, Regional Incentives and Regional Attractiveness in Greece," ERSA conference papers ersa04p559, European Regional Science Association.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004.
"How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00268770, HAL.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003. "How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000. "How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Agiomirgianakis, G. M. & Asteriou, D. & Papathoma, K., 2003. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: a panel data study for the OECD countries," Working Papers 03/06, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Marco Committeri, 2004. "Investire in Italia? Risultati di una recente indagine empirica," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 491, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Mayer, Thierry, 2004. "Where do foreign firms locate in France and why?," EIB Papers 7/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Uppenberg, Kristian & Riess, Armin, 2004. "Determinants and growth effects of foreign direct investment," EIB Papers 3/2004, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2006.
"Multinationals' Location Choice, Agglomeration Economies, and Public Incentives,"
International Regional Science Review,
, vol. 29(1), pages 81-107, January.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GORG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, 2003. "Multinationals' location choice, agglomeration economies and public incentives," CORE Discussion Papers 2003017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten, 2007.
"Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 397-415, June.
- Hefeker, Carsten & Busse, Matthias, 2005. "Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment," HWWA Discussion Papers 315, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Vittorio Daniele, 2007. "Incentivi economici e disincentivi di contesto: gli investimenti esteri nel Mezzogiorno," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 5-34.
- Habib, M. & Zurawicki, L., 2001. "Country-level investments and the effect of corruption -- some empirical evidence," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 687-700, December.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 2003. "The Impact of Corporate Taxation on the Location of Capital: A Review," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 275-292, September.
- Roberto Basile, 2002. "The Locational Determinants of Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants in Italy: Preliminary Results," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(4), pages 61-92, July-Augu.
- Peri Giovanni, 2004. "Socio-Cultural Variables and Economic Success: Evidence from Italian Provinces 1951-1991," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-36, September.
- Basile R. & Giunta A., 2005. "La localizzazione degli investimenti diretti esteri in Italia: vincoli istituzionali, Mezzogiorno e politiche di attrazione," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 771-794.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Local Corruption and Global Capital Flows," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(2), pages 303-354.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Helen Simpson, 2004. "Agglomeration, regional grants and firm location," IFS Working Papers W04/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Taylor, William E., 1980. "Small sample considerations in estimation from panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 203-223, June.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2005. "Attracting Foreign Investments in Europe - are Italian Regions Doomed?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p148, European Regional Science Association.
- Basile Roberto & Castellani Davide & Zanfei Antonello, 2004. "La localizzazione delle imprese multinazionali in Europa: il ruolo delle politiche dell'UE e le peculiarità dell'Italia," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 571-596.
- Daniele V., 2005. "Perché le imprese estere non investono al Sud?," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 795-818.
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.