Equal Sacrifice and Fair Burden Sharing in a Public Goods Economy
Applying a willingness to pay approach known from contingent valuation in environmental economics, we develop an ordinally based measure for the size of individual sacrifice that is connected with an agent's contribution to a public good. We construct a selection mechanism that picks the unique efficient solution among all allocations that have an equal sacrifice as defined in this way. We show that the solution thus obtained correspond to Moulin’s egalitarian equivalent allocation, conforms to both the ability to pay and the benefit principles, and has much in common with the Lindahl equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Francois Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 2002.
"Fair Production and Allocation of an Excludable Nonrival Good,"
Economics Working Papers
0014, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- François Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 2004. "Fair Production and Allocation of an Excludable Nonrival Good," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 627-640, 03.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2002. "Fair Production and Allocation of an Excludable Nonrival Good," Cahiers de recherche 2002-04, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Sandler,Todd, 2004.
"Global Collective Action,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521834773, 1.
- Hines Jr., James R., 2000. "What is benefit taxation?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 483-492, March.
- Mitra, T. & Ok, E.A., 1994.
"Personal Income Taxation and the Principle of Equal Sacrifice Revisited,"
94-29, Cornell - Department of Economics.
- Mitra, Tapan & Ok, Efe A, 1996. "Personal Income Taxation and the Principle of Equal Sacrifice Revisited," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 925-48, November.
- Udo Ebert & Georg Tillmann, 2007. "Distribution-neutral provision of public goods," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 107-124, July.
- Lange, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten & Ziegler, Andreas, 2006.
"On the Importance of Equity in International Climate Policy: An Empirical Analysis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-42, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lange, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten & Ziegler, Andreas, 2007. "On the importance of equity in international climate policy: An empirical analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 545-562, May.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom, 2004.
"Benefit-Cost in a Benevolent Society,"
- Udo Ebert, 2003. "Environmental Goods and the Distribution of Income," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(4), pages 435-459, August.
- Jon R. Neill, 2000. "The benefit and sacrifice principles of taxation: A synthesis," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 117-124.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2007.
"Justifying the Lindahl solution as an outcome of fair cooperation,"
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 157-169, October.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2005. "Justifying the Lindahl Solution as an Outcome of Fair Cooperation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1536, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lasse Ringius & Asbjørn Torvanger & Arild Underdal, 2002. "Burden Sharing and Fairness Principles in International Climate Policy," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Kaul, Inge & Conceicao, Pedro & Le Goulven, Katell & Mendoza, Ronald U. (ed.), 2003. "Providing Global Public Goods: Managing Globalization," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195157413, July.
- Moulin, Herve, 1987. "Egalitarian-Equivalent Cost Sharing of a Public Good," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 963-76, July.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Richard Cornes & Wolfgang Peters, 2006. "Lindahl Equilibrium Versus Voluntary Contribution to a Public Good: The Role of the Income Distribution," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 62(1), pages 28-49, March.
- Moyes, Patrick, 2003. "Redistributive effects of minimal equal sacrifice taxation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 111-140, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1997. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.