The Impact of Uruguay’s 2007 Tax Reform on Equity and Efficiency
In 2007, the Uruguayan government implemented a new tax reform which introduced a new progressive labour income tax, a flat capital income tax, and reduced some indirect taxes, with the objective of improving fiscal balance, income distribution and economic growth. This paper presents an evaluation of the impact of such tax reform on equity and efficiency on the basis of data derived from the Encuesta Continua de Hogares (ECH) for the years 2006 and 2009. Using a Difference-in-Differences technique, the paper shows that the new tax system lowered inequality by 2 Gini points without producing any discernible disincentive effect. These results contrast with the conclusions of supply side-economics and suggest that suitably designed reforms of direct taxation can simultaneously achieve the goals of equity and efficiency.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via delle Pandette 9 50127 - Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2759582
Web page: http://www.disei.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2012.
"The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution,"
2012_05, Durham University Business School.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2012. "The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(565), pages 1244-1261, December.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2009. "The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution," Working Papers 2009_05, Durham University Business School.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2009. "The evolution of ideology, fairness and redistribution," Working Papers 2009_29, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Alberto F. Alesina & Guido Cozzi & Noemi Mantovan, 2009. "The Evolution of Ideology, Fairness and Redistribution," NBER Working Papers 15587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank, 2008. "Uruguay : Poverty and Social Impact Assessment of the Tax Reform," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7890, The World Bank.
- Cecilia Llambi & Silvia Laens & Marcelo Perera & Mery Ferrando, 2011. "Assessing the Impact of the 2007 Tax Reform on Povert and Inequality in Uruguay," Working Papers PMMA 2011-14, PEP-PMMA.
- J. A. Mirrlees, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 175-208.
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2012.
"The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 3-50, March.
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel B. Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2009. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review," NBER Working Papers 15012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2008.
"Equal sacrifice and fair burden-sharing in a public goods economy,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 415-429, August.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2007. "Equal Sacrifice and Fair Burden Sharing in a Public Goods Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 1997, CESifo Group Munich.
- Amarante, Veronica & Vigorito, Andrea, 2011. "Uruguayâ..s Income Inequality and Political Regimes during 1981â..2010," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Martorano, Bruno, 2011.
"A New Fiscal Pact, Tax Policy Changes and Income Inequality,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Juan Carlos Gómez-Sabaini & Bruno Martorano, 2012. "A New Fiscal Pact, Tax Policy Changes and Income Inequality," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_03.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Calvin Blackwell, 2007. "A Meta-Analysis of Tax Compliance Experiments," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0724, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:frz:wpaper:wp2012_06.rdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgio Ricchiuti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.