Productive Structure, Political Cycle And Inequality: The Case Of Uruguay, 2004-2011
The electoral victory of the Frente Amplio (FA) in Uruguay in October, 2004, apparently represented a break with the economic policies that had been implemented till then. Those policies were indeed the same that lead the country to its deepest economic crisis between 1999 and 2002. In this article, we analyse the process triggered by those reforms, considering the evolution of the economic structure, the changes in the primary distribution of income and finally the impact on the secondary distribution of income and on poverty. We conclude that the break has been more than apparent in terms of social policies, reducing thereby inequality. However, and although we acknowledge that the span of time is still not too long, we conclude also that the changes in the productive structure are much weaker, thus jeopardizing the previous achievements when faced with worse economic conditions.
Volume (Year): 22 (2013)
Issue (Month): ex ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda Xoan XXIII S/N, 15704 Santiago de Compostela|
Web page: http://www.usc.es/econo/RGE/benvidag.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verónica Amarante & Ivone Perazzo, 2009. "Crecimiento económico y pobreza en Uruguay, 1991-2006," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID, December.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 2012.
"Inequality Trends and their Determinants: Latin America over 1990-2010,"
WIDER Working Paper Series
009, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia, 2012. "Inequality Trends and their Determinants: Latin America over 1990-2010," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_02.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Verónica Amarante & Andrés Dean & Rodrigo Arím, 2013. "Unemployment Insurance Design and Its Effects: Evidence for Uruguay," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE, June.
- Verónica Amarante & Rodrigo Arim & Andrés Dean, 2012. "Unemployment insurance design and its effects: evidence from the Uruguayan case," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 12-09, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
- Bruno Martorano, 2014. "The Impact of Uruguay's 2007 Tax Reform on Equity and Efficiency," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 32(6), pages 701-714, November.
- Bruno Martorano, 2012. "The Impact of Uruguay’s 2007 Tax Reform on Equity and Efficiency," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_06.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Arim, Rodrigo & Cruces, Guillermo Antonio & Vigorito, Andrea, 2009. "Programas sociales y transferencias de ingresos en Uruguay: los beneficios no contributivos y las alternativas para su extensión," Políticas Sociales 146, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Amarante, Veronica & Vigorito, Andrea, 2011. "Uruguayâ..s Income Inequality and Political Regimes during 1981â..2010," WIDER Working Paper Series 094, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bucheli, Marisa & Furtado, Magdalena, 2005. "Uruguay 1998-2002: la distribución del ingreso en la crisis," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
- repec:unu:wpaper:wp2012-09 is not listed on IDEAS
- David De Ferranti & Guillermo E. Perry & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Michael Walton, 2004. "Inequality in Latin America : Breaking with History?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15009, October.
- Jorge Notaro, 2005. "Employment and unemployment in Uruguay 1984-2005," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 05-02, Instituto de Economía - IECON. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sdo:regaec:v:22:y:2013:i:ex_3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Iglesias Casal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.