Unemployment insurance design and its effects: evidence from the Uruguayan case
Abundant empirical evidence both for developed and developing countries finds that the design of unemployment insurance program may have important consequences on labor market outcomes. In particular, the design of UI system can affect both unemployment duration and employment outcomes. Recent changes in the design of the Uruguayan UI have implied modifications that may alter various labor market outcomes. In particular, we assess the impacts of the following modifications: the duration of UI was reduced from six to four months in the case of temporary laid off workers (suspension); the scheme of payments was changed for permanent laid off workers (job loss). Instead of a lump sum during six months, a decreasing scheme of payments was installed; and the duration of the UI can be extended up to one year for workers 50 or older.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Joaquín Requena 1375, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2400-0406
Fax: (598) 2419-8727
Web page: http://www.iecon.ccee.edu.uy/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LALIVE, 2006.
"How do Extended Benefits affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
06.06, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Lalive, Rafael, 2008. "How do extended benefits affect unemployment duration A regression discontinuity approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 785-806, February.
- Rafael Lalive, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," IEW - Working Papers 294, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Lalive, Rafael, 2006. "How do extended benefits affect unemployment duration? A regression discontinuity approach," Working Paper Series 2006:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Lalive, Rafael, 2006. "How Do Extended Benefits Affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2200, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rafael Lalive, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits Affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1765, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulr:wpaper:dt-09-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrés Dean)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.