Globalization, Increasing Returns in Component Production, and the Pattern of Trade
This paper proposes that globalization, through the enlargement of the market, can influence both specialization and the equilibrium firm size. By re-introducing two factors of production into the muchutilized Dixit-Stiglitz-Ethier framework, I show that gains from specialization depend only on capital, while gains from increasing firm size face a trade-off between labor and capital as the size of the market expands. If the markup that the firms charge is instead endogenously determined, I demonstrate how firms can gain from both internal and external economies as globalization occurs if the number of firms stays under a specified threshold. The paper also shows that opening up to free trade in intermediate inputs and a final consumption good will have relative endowments determining the direction of trade across the stages of production. The model predicts that a relatively capital-abundant country will be the importer of the final good and the net exporter of intermediate components. Compared to autarky, trade will enhance specialization and firm size in the capital-abundant country and diminish both in the laborabundant country. Welfare can either increase or decrease as a result of trade.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Timothy J. Kehoe & Vanessa Strauss-Kahn & Kei-Mu Yi, 2004.
"Why is manufacturing trade rising even as manufacturing output is falling?,"
04-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Timothy J. Kehoe & Vanessa Strauss-Kahn & Kei-Mu Yi, 2004. "Why Is Manufacturing Trade Rising Even as Manufacturing Output is Falling?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 134-138, May.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Tim Kehoe & Vanessa Strauss-Kahn & Kei-Mu Yi, 2004. "Why is Manufacturing Trade Rising Even as Manufacturing Output is Falling?," Documentos de Trabajo 178, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L. & Rivera-Batiz, Luis A., 1990. "The effects of direct foreign investment in the presence of increasing returns due to specialization," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 287-307, November.
- Simon Evenett, 2004.
"The Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s,"
in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 411-470
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon J. Evenett, 2003. "The Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s," NBER Working Papers 9655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liu, Pak-Wai & Yang, Xiaokai, 2000. "The theory of irrelevance of the size of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 145-165, June.
- Eckel, Carsten, 2008.
"Globalization and specialization,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 219-228, May.
- d'ASPREMONT, C. & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, R. & GÉRARD-VARET, L.-A., .
"On the Dixit-Stiglitz model of monopolistic competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1211, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Gerard-Varet, Louis-Andre, 1996. "On the Dixit-Stiglitz Model of Monopolistic Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 623-29, June.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan, 2005. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Scholarly Articles 25586654, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford & David Tarr, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investments in Services and the Domestic Market for Expertise,"
NBER Working Papers
7700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David, 2000. "Foreign direct investment in services and the domestic market for expertise," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2413, The World Bank.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter, 2001. "Cross-border sourcing and outward processing in EU manufacturing," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 243-256, November.
- Yang, Xiaokai & Heijdra, Ben J, 1993. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 295-301, March.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1996. "Trade policy, cumulative causation, and industrial development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 179-197, April.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Casas, Francisco R, 1973. "Intermediate Products and the Pure Theory of International Trade: A Neo-Heckscher-Ohlin Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 297-311, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.