Professional Employer Organizations: What Are They, Who Uses Them and Why Should We Care?
More and more U.S. workers are counted as employees of firms that they do not actually work for. Among such workers are those who staffed by temporary help service (THS) agencies and leased employees who are on the payroll of professional employment organizations (PEOs) but work for PEOs’ client firms. While several papers study firms’ use of THS services, few examine firms’ use of PEO services. In this article, we summarize PEOs’ business practices and examine how the intensity of their use varies across industries, geographic areas, and establishment characteristics using both public and confidential data.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew Dey & Susan Houseman & Anne Polivka, 2006. "Manufacturers' Outsourcing to Employment Services," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 07-132, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Susan Houseman, 2006. "Outsourcing, Offshoring, and Productivity Measurement in Manufacturing," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 06-130, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Yukako Ono & Daniel Sullivan, 2008.
"Manufacturing Plants' Use of Temporary Workers: An Analysis Using Census Micro Data,"
08-40, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Yukako Ono & Daniel Sullivan, 2013. "Manufacturing Plants' Use of Temporary Workers: An Analysis Using Census Microdata," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 419-443, 04.
- Yukako Ono & Daniel G. Sullivan, 2006. "Manufacturing plants’ use of temporary workers: an analysis using census micro data," Working Paper Series WP-06-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marcello Estevao & Saul Lach, 1999.
"Measuring Temporary Labor Outsourcing in U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
7421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcello Estevao & Saul Lach, 1999. "Measuring temporary labor outsourcing in U.S. manufacturing," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lewis Segal & Daniel Sullivan, 1996.
"The growth of temporary services work,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-96-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:10-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.