Professional employer organizations: What are they, who uses them, and why should we care?
Using both public and confidential data, the authors summarize how the intensity of use of professional employer organization (PEO) services varies across industries and geographical areas. Their analyses using microdata of manufacturing establishments suggest that the use of PEO services depends on the size of the establishment and of its parent firm. The use of PEO services is greater for newly constructed establishments, as well as for establishments with a potentially high injury and illness rate. Greater diversification across industries and geographical areas of a parent firm may also increase an establishment's use of PEO services.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): Q IV ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.chicagofed.org/webpages/publications/print_publication_order_form.cfm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewis M. Segal & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1997.
"The Growth of Temporary Services Work,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Susan Houseman, 2006. "Outsourcing, Offshoring, and Productivity Measurement in Manufacturing," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 06-130, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Marcello Estevao & Saul Lach, 1999.
"Measuring Temporary Labor Outsourcing in U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
7421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcello Estevao & Saul Lach, 1999. "Measuring temporary labor outsourcing in U.S. manufacturing," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Yukako Ono & Daniel G. Sullivan, 2006.
"Manufacturing plants’ use of temporary workers: an analysis using census micro data,"
Working Paper Series
WP-06-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Yukako Ono & Daniel Sullivan, 2013. "Manufacturing Plants' Use of Temporary Workers: An Analysis Using Census Microdata," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 419-443, 04.
- Yukako Ono & Daniel Sullivan, 2008. "Manufacturing Plants' Use of Temporary Workers: An Analysis Using Census Micro Data," Working Papers 08-40, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Matthew Dey & Susan Houseman & Anne Polivka, 2006. "Manufacturers' Outsourcing to Employment Services," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 07-132, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhep:y:2008:i:qiv:p:2-14:n:v.32no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.