The Dynamics of Reform of Indiaâ€™s Federal System
This paper analyzes the process of reform of Indiaâ€™s federal system, with a focus on fiscal federalism. We first summarize the basic features of, and recent reforms in intergovernmental relations, including the role of political institutions, assignments of expenditure responsibility and revenue authority, the system of intergovernmental transfers, and institutions and mechanisms for government borrowing. We then discuss the institutional specifics of the reform process, to understand the dynamics of Indiaâ€™s federal system.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Santa Cruz, CA 95064|
Phone: (831) 459-2743
Fax: (831) 459-5077
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucscecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Nirvikar & Srinivasan, T.N., 2006.
"Federalism and economic development in India: An assessment,"
12452, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2008.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Srinivasan, T.N., 2006. "Federalism and economic development in India:An assessment," MPRA Paper 1273, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:cdl:ucscec:qt8jn2b8z6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kochhar, Kalpana & Kumar, Utsav & Rajan, Raghuram & Subramanian, Arvind & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2006.
"India's pattern of development: What happened, what follows?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 981-1019, July.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan & Ioannis Tokatlidis & Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar, 2006. "India's Pattern of Development: What Happened, What Follows?," IMF Working Papers 06/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar & Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006. "India's Patterns of Development: What Happened, What Follows," NBER Working Papers 12023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Govinda Rao & Rao, R. Kavita, 2005.
"Trends and issues in tax policy and reform in India,"
tru1, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- M. Govinda Rao & R. Kavita Rao, 2005. "Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India," India Policy Forum, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 2(1), pages 55-122.
- M.Govinda Rao & R.Kavita Rao, 2005. "Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India," Working Papers id:243, eSocialSciences.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2007.
"Fiscal Decentralization in China and India: Competitive, Cooperative or Market Preserving Federalism?,"
1705, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jin, Hehui & Qian, Yingyi & Weingast, Barry R., 2005.
"Regional decentralization and fiscal incentives: Federalism, Chinese style,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1719-1742, September.
- Hehui Jin & Yingyi Qian & Barry Weingast, 1999. "Regional Decentralization and Fiscal Incentives: Federalism, Chinese Style," Working Papers 99013, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland, .
"Federalism and the Soft Budget Constraint,"
97045, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2006.
"Services-led industrialization in India: Assessment and lessons,"
1276, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Qian, Yingyi & Roland, Gerard & Xu, Chenggang, 1999. "Why is China different from Eastern Europe? Perspectives from organization theory," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1085-1094, April.
- M. Govinda Rao & Pinaki Chakraborty, 2006. "Multilateral adjustment lending to states in India: Hastening fiscal correction or softening the budget constraint?," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 335-357.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucscec:qt9gh5p65t. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.