Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India
The Indian tax reform experience can provide useful lessons for many countries due to the largeness of the country with multilevel fiscal framework, uniqueness of the reform experience and difficulties in calibrating reforms due to institutional constraints. This paper details the evolution of the tax system and its reform over the years and analyses its efficiency and equity implications. In section 2, alternative models of tax system reform are presented with a view to identifying the best practice approach followed in tax system reforms. Section 3 analyses the evolution of Indian tax system and the impact of historical and institutional factors in shaping Indian tax policy. The trends in tax revenue are presented in section 4 and these point towards a relative stagnation and deceleration in tax revenues at both central and state levels. Section 5 analyses the reasons for the stagnation in revenues at central and state levels. This is followed by an exploratory discussion on the possible efficiency and equity implications of tax system. The final section presents directions for further reforms.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 2 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.brookings.edu/global/India-Policy-Forum.aspxEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon, Roger & Li, Wei, 2009.
"Tax structures in developing countries: Many puzzles and a possible explanation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(7-8), pages 855-866, August.
- Roger Gordon & Wei Li, 2005. "Tax Structure in Developing Countries: Many Puzzles and a Possible Explanation," NBER Working Papers 11267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard M. Bird, 2005.
"Value-Added Taxes in Developing and Transitional Countries: Lessons and Questions,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0505, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Richard M. Bird, 2005. "Value-Added Taxes in Developing and Transitional Countries: Lessons and Questions," International Tax Program Papers 0505, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz & M. Shahe Emran, 2004.
"Price Neutral Tax reform With an Informal Economy,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
493, Econometric Society.
- Martin, Lawrence & Panagariya, Arvind, 1984. "Smuggling, trade, and price disparity: A crime-theoretic approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 201-217, November.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19990083 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521397421 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burgess, Robin & Stern, Nicholas, 1993. "Taxation and Development," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 762-830, June.
- Bird, R.M., 1993. "John F. Graham Memorial Lecture Series: Federal-Provincial Taxation In Turbulent Times," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 93-09, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- James R. Hines, 2004. "Might Fundamental Tax Reform Increase Criminal Activity?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(283), pages 483-492, 08.
- Michael Keen & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio E. Raddatz, 1998.
"Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic,"
NBER Working Papers
6828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Eduardo M. R. A. & Galetovic, Alexander & Raddatz, Claudio E., 1999. "Taxes and income distribution in Chile: some unpleasant redistributive arithmetic," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 155-192, June.
- Eduardo Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," Documentos de Trabajo 41, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1986. "Welfare effects of changing commodity tax rates toward uniformity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 99-112, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521265638 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ind:nipfwp:21 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard M. Bird & Eric M. Zolt, 2014.
"Redistribution via Taxation: The Limited Role of the Personal Income Tax in Developing Countries,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 625-683, November.
- Richard M. Bird & Eric M. Zolt, 2005. "Redistribution via Taxation: The Limited Role of the Personal Income Tax in Developing Countries," International Tax Program Papers 0508, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Richard M. Bird & Eric M. Zolt, 2005. "Redistribution via Taxation: The Limited Role of the Personal Income Tax in Developing Countries," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0507, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Klarita G�rxhani, 2004. "The Informal Sector in Developed and Less Developed Countries: A Literature Survey," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 120(3_4), pages 267-300, 09.
- Richard M. Bird, 2014.
"Administrative Dimensions of Tax Reform,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 963-992, November.
- Das-Gupta, Arindam, 2004. "VAT versus the turnover tax with non-competitive firms," Working Papers 04/21, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Hansen, Bent, 1973. "A Theoretical Analysis of Smuggling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 172-87, May.
- repec:ind:nipfwp:15 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bin:indiap:v:2:y:2005:i:2005-1:p:55-122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eric Encarnacion)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.