Issues Before the Thirteenth Finance Commission
The paper argues that irrespective of the wording of the Terms of Reference (ToR), the Commission would do well to focus on its primary task of recommending transfers to serve the objective of equity and incentives. While it is required to take into account a number of considerations, the focus should be on the transfer system. As an impartial body, the Commission should make a fair assessment of the union as well as state governments, ignoring the asymmetries in the wording of the ToR. [WP No. 55].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arvind Virmani, 2009.
"Macro-economic management of the Indian economy: capital flows, interest rates, and inflation,"
Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 189-214.
- Arvind Virmani, 2008. "Macro-economic Management of the Indian Economy: Capital Flows, Interest Rates and Inflation," Working Papers id:1353, eSocialSciences.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Rao, Govinda, 2006. "Political Economy of Federalism in India," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195686937.
- Rao, M Govinda, 1997.
"Invisible Transfers in Indian Federalism,"
Public Finance = Finances publiques,
, vol. 52(3-4), pages 429-448.
- R. Kavita Rao, 2008.
"Goods and Services Tax for India,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22976, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- M.Govinda Rao & R.Kavita Rao, 2005.
"Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India,"
- M. Govinda Rao & R. Kavita Rao, 2005. "Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India," India Policy Forum, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 2(1), pages 55-122.
- M. Govinda Rao & Rao, R. Kavita, 2005. "Trends and issues in tax policy and reform in India," Working Papers tru1, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- R M Bird, 1986.
"On Measuring Fiscal Centralization and Fiscal Balance in Federal States,"
Environment and Planning C,
, vol. 4(4), pages 389-404, December.
- R M Bird, 1986. "On measuring fiscal centralization and fiscal balance in federal states," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 4(4), pages 389-404, August.
- Rao, R. Kavita, 2008. "Goods and services tax for India," Working Papers 08/57, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:1709. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.