Issues Before the Thirteenth Finance Commission
The paper argues that irrespective of the wording of the Terms of Reference (ToR), the Commission would do well to focus on its primary task of recommending transfers to serve the objective of equity and incentives. While it is required to take into account a number of considerations, the focus should be on the transfer system. As an impartial body, the Commission should make a fair assessment of the union as well as state governments, ignoring the asymmetries in the wording of the ToR. [WP No. 55].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Govinda Rao, 1998.
"Invisible Transfers In Indian Federalism,"
Departmental Working Papers
1998-01, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Rao, R. Kavita, 2008. "Goods and services tax for India," Working Papers 08/57, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- M.Govinda Rao & R.Kavita Rao, 2005.
"Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India,"
- M. Govinda Rao & R. Kavita Rao, 2005. "Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India," India Policy Forum, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 2(1), pages 55-122.
- M. Govinda Rao & Rao, R. Kavita, 2005. "Trends and issues in tax policy and reform in India," Working Papers tru1, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- R.Kavita Rao, 2009.
"Goods and Services Tax for India,"
- Singh, Nirvikar & Rao, Govinda, 2006. "Political Economy of Federalism in India," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195686937, December.
- Arvind Virmani, 2009.
"Macro-economic management of the Indian economy: capital flows, interest rates, and inflation,"
Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 189-214.
- Arvind Virmani, 2008. "Macro-economic Management of the Indian Economy: Capital Flows, Interest Rates and Inflation," Working Papers id:1353, eSocialSciences.
- R M Bird, 1986.
"On measuring fiscal centralization and fiscal balance in federal states,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 4(4), pages 389-404, August.
- R M Bird, 1986. "On Measuring Fiscal Centralization and Fiscal Balance in Federal States," Environment and Planning C, SAGE Publishing, vol. 4(4), pages 389-404, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:1709. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.