Federalism and the Soft Budget Constraint
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Wildasin, David E., 1997.
"Externalities and bailouts : hard and soft budget constraints in intergovernmental fiscal relations,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1843, The World Bank.
- David E. Wildasin, 2001. "Externalities and Bailouts: Hard and Soft Budget Constraints in Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations," Public Economics 0112002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Akai, Nobuo & Sato, Motohiro, 2008. "Too big or too small? A synthetic view of the commitment problem of interregional transfers," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 551-559, November.
- Benjamin Larin & Bernd Süssmuth, 2014. "Fiscal Autonomy and Fiscal Sustainability: Subnational Taxation and Public Indebtedness in Contemporary Spain," CESifo Working Paper Series 4726, CESifo.
- Russo, Massimo, 1998. "Policy coordination in the European Union (from the EMS to EMU)," Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones) 34386, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Mehrdad Vahabi, 2001.
"The Soft Budget Constraint: A Theoretical Clarification,"
- Mehrdad VAHABI, 2001. "The Soft Budget Constraint : A Theoretical Clarification," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Kornai, János, 2000. "A költségvetési korlát megkeményítése a posztszocialista országokban [Hardening of the budget constraint in the post-socialist countries]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(1), pages 1-22.
- Besfamille, Martin & Lockwood, Ben, 2004.
"Are Hard Budget Constraints for Sub-National Governments Always Efficient?,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
717, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Besfamille, Marin & Lockwood, Ben, 2004. "Are Hard Budget Constraints for Sub-National Governments Always Efficient?," Economic Research Papers 269611, University of Warwick - Department of Economics.
- Koethenbuerger, Marko, 2008.
"Federal tax-transfer policy and intergovernmental pre-commitment,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 16-31, January.
- Marko Köthenbürger, 2007. "Federal Tax-Transfer Policy and Intergovernmental Pre-Commitment," CESifo Working Paper Series 2054, CESifo.
- Stefan Voigt, 2011.
"Positive constitutional economics II—a survey of recent developments,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 146(1), pages 205-256, January.
- Stefan Voigt, 2009. "Positive Constitutional Economics II—A Survey of Recent Developments," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200936, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Robert Inman, 2001. "Transfers and Bailouts: Institutions for Enforcing Local Fiscal Discipline," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 141-160, June.
- Rosella Levaggi & Francesco Menoncin, 2014. "Health care expenditure decisions in the presence of devolution and equalisation grants," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 355-368, December.
- Karolina Kaiser & Emmanuelle Taugourdeau, 2013.
"The timing of elections in federations: a disciplining device against soft budget constraints?,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 154(3), pages 197-215, March.
- Karolina Kaiser & Emmanuelle Taugourdeau, 2010. "The Timing of Elections in Federations : A Disciplining Device against Soft Budget Constraints ?," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00492085, HAL.
- Karolina Kaiser & Emmanuelle Taugourdeau, 2010. "The Timing of Elections in Federations : A Disciplining Device against Soft Budget Constraints ?," Post-Print halshs-00492085, HAL.
- Karolina Kaiser & Emmanuelle Taugourdeau, 2010. "The Timing of Elections in Federations: A Disciplining Device against Soft Budget Constraints?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10036, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Karolina Kaiser & Emmanuelle Taugourdeau, 2010. "The Timing of Elections in Federations : A Disciplining Device against Soft Budget Constraints ?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00492085, HAL.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2010.
"On the link between fiscal decentralization and public debt in OECD countries,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 351-378, December.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2010. "On the Link Between Fiscal Decentralization and Public Debt in OECD Countries," MPRA Paper 21599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berthold, Norbert & Fricke, Holger, 2007. "China's Booming Economy: Does the Federal Order Foster Growth?," Discussion Paper Series 95, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg, Chair of Economic Order and Social Policy.
- Beata Guziejewska, 2007. "Subwencje i dotacje dla samorządu terytorialnego w polityce finansowej państwa," Gospodarka Narodowa. The Polish Journal of Economics, Warsaw School of Economics, issue 4, pages 71-89.
- Laurent Bouton & Marjorie Gassner & Vincenzo Verardi, 2005. "The Tragedy of the Commons or the Curse of Federalism," Public Economics 0511013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan José Echavarría Soto & Carolina Rentería & Roberto Steiner, 2000.
"Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia,"
Informes de Investigación
- Echavarría, Juan José & Rentería, Carolina & Steiner, Roberto, 2010. "Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 1085, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Juan Jose Echavarria & Carolina Renteria & Roberto Steiner, 2002. "Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia," Research Department Publications 3138, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Kameda, Keigo & Lu, Zhenkun & Fukui, Masaki, 2022. "Comparison of the productivity of public capital by project type: Central-government, subsidized-local, and unsubsidized-local projects in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C).
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2014. "The political economy of special needs transfers: Evidence from Bavarian municipalities, 1993-2011," University of Göttingen Working Papers in Economics 211, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2013.
"Do bailouts buy votes? Evidence from a panel of Hessian municipalities,"
Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 257-278, August.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2013. "Do bailouts buy votes? Evidence from a panel of Hessian municipalities," MPRA Paper 48228, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luiz de Mello, 2007. "Local Government Finances: The Link between Intergovernmental Transfers and Net Worth," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 581, OECD Publishing.
More about this item
KeywordsSoft Budget Constraints; Federalism; Decentralization; Competition; China;
All these keywords.
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy; Modern Monetary Theory
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
- L30 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - General
- P3 - Political Economy and Comparative Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:stanec:97045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/destaus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Thomas Krichel (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/destaus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.