The impact of water and sanitation access on housing values: The case of Dapaong, Togo
The international community has made a commitment that aims to halve, by 2015, the number of people without access to safe drinking water and hygienic sanitation systems. In Togo, the government struggles to provide the population with access to water and sanitation, despite a proactive policy. We argue that a connection to safe water and sanitation increases housing values. Using collected data from the city of Dapaong, we develop a hedonic price model to capture the relationship between housing values and their characteristics. Our results support the need to accompany any investment in access to water and sanitation with real estate policies, so that the poorest households remain beneficiaries of the pro-poor policies.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 65 Bd. F. Mitterrand, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand|
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isaac F. Megbolugbe, 1989. "A Hedonic Index Model: The Housing Market of Jos, Nigeria," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 26(5), pages 486-494, October.
- Johanna CHOUMERT & Jesper STAGE & Claudine UWERA, 2014.
"Access to water as a determinant of rental values: A hedonic analysis in Rwanda,"
- Johanna Choumert & Jesper Stage & Claudine Uwera, 2015. "Access to water as a determinant of rental values: A hedonic analysis in Rwanda," Working Papers halshs-00939271, HAL.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert & Davidson, Russell, 1983. "Tests for model specification in the presence of alternative hypotheses : Some further results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-70, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981. "Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses: Some Further Results," Working Papers 430, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Whittington, Dale & Jeuland, Marc & Barker, Kate & Yuen, Yvonne, 2012. "Setting Priorities, Targeting Subsidies among Water, Sanitation, and Preventive Health Interventions in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1546-1568.
- Onjala, Joseph & Ndiritu, Simon Wagura & Stage, Jesper, 2013. "Risk Perception, Choice of Drinking Water, and Water Treatment: Evidence from Kenyan Towns," Discussion Papers dp-13-10-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Ben C. Arimah, 1992. "Hedonic Prices and the Demand for Housing Attributes in a Third World City: The Case of Ibadan, Nigeria," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 29(5), pages 639-651, June.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Gulyani, Sumila & Talukdar, Debabrata, 2008. "Slum Real Estate: The Low-Quality High-Price Puzzle in Nairobi's Slum Rental Market and its Implications for Theory and Practice," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1916-1937, October.
- Nauges, Celine & Strand, Jon, 2007. "Estimation of non-tap water demand in Central American cities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 165-182, September.
- Anselin, Luc & Lozano-Gracia, Nancy & Deichmann, Uwe & Lall, Somik, 2008. "Valuing access to water - a spatial hedonic approach applied to Indian cities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4533, The World Bank.
- Arief Anshory Yusuf & Phoebe Koundouri, "undated". "HouseholdÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½s Valuation of Domestic Water in Indonesia: Revisiting the Supply Driven Approach," DEOS Working Papers 0404, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Paul Kwadwo Asabere, 1981. "# The Determinants of Land Values in an African City: The Case of Accra, Ghana," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 385-397.
- Archambault, Caroline S. & de Laat, Joost & Zulu, Eliya Msiyaphazi, 2012. "Urban Services and Child Migration to the Slums of Nairobi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1854-1869.
- Jenkins, Marion W. & Curtis, Val, 2005. "Achieving the 'good life': Why some people want latrines in rural Benin," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(11), pages 2446-2459, December.
- Scott Orford, 2000. "Modelling Spatial Structures in Local Housing Market Dynamics: A Multilevel Perspective," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 37(9), pages 1643-1671, August.
- Paul K. Asabere, 2004. "The Pricing of the Emergent Leasehold (Possessory) Estates of Ghana," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 673-694, December.
- Yusuf, Arief Anshory & Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Household’s Valuation of Domestic Water in Indonesia: Revisiting the Supply Driven Approach," MPRA Paper 41911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Els & Dieter Von Fintel, 2010. "Residential Property Prices In A Submarket Of South Africa: Separating Real Returns From Attribute Growth," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 78(4), pages 418-436, December.
- Rakodi, Carole, 1992. "Housing markets in third world cities: Research and policy into the 1990s," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 39-55, January.
- Nauges, Céline & Van Den Berg, Caroline, 2009. "Perception of Health Risk and Averting Behavior: An Analysis of Household Water Consumption in Southwest Sri Lanka," TSE Working Papers 09-139, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Caroline Berg & Céline Nauges, 2012. "The willingness to pay for access to piped water: a hedonic analysis of house prices in Southwest Sri Lanka," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 151-166, October.
- Anne Briand & Amandine Loyal, 2013. "La demande de raccordement des ménages auprès des petits opérateurs privés d'eau potable. Le cas des quartiers périphériques de Maputo," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 64(4), pages 685-719.
- Kayaga, Sam & Calvert, John & Sansom, Kevin, 2003. "Paying for water services: effects of household characteristics," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 123-132, September.
- Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Choe, Kyeongae & Hughes, Jeffrey A. & Swarna, Venkateswarlu & Wright, Albert M., 1993. "Household sanitation in Kumasi, Ghana: A description of current practices, attitudes, and perceptions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 733-748, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)