The impact of water and sanitation access on housing values: The case of Dapaong, Togo
The international community has made a commitment that aims to halve, by 2015, the number of people without access to safe drinking water and hygienic sanitation systems. In Togo, the government struggles to provide the population with access to water and sanitation, despite a proactive policy. We argue that a connection to safe water and sanitation increases housing values. Using collected data from the city of Dapaong, we develop a hedonic price model to capture the relationship between housing values and their characteristics. Our results support the need to accompany any investment in access to water and sanitation with real estate policies, so that the poorest households remain beneficiaries of the pro-poor policies.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johanna CHOUMERT & Jesper STAGE & Claudine UWERA, 2014.
"Access to water as a determinant of rental values: A hedonic analysis in Rwanda,"
- Johanna Choumert & Jesper STAGE & Claudine UWERA, 2014. "Access to water as a determinant of rental values: A hedonic analysis in Rwanda," Working Papers halshs-00939271, HAL.
- Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Choe, Kyeongae & Hughes, Jeffrey A. & Swarna, Venkateswarlu & Wright, Albert M., 1993. "Household sanitation in Kumasi, Ghana: A description of current practices, attitudes, and perceptions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 733-748, May.
- Anselin, Luc & Lozano-Gracia, Nancy & Deichmann, Uwe & Lall, Somik, 2008. "Valuing access to water - a spatial hedonic approach applied to Indian cities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4533, The World Bank.
- Paul Kwadwo Asabere, 1981. "# The Determinants of Land Values in an African City: The Case of Accra, Ghana," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 385-397.
- Nauges, Céline & Van Den Berg, Caroline, 2009. "Perception of Health Risk and Averting Behavior: An Analysis of Household Water Consumption in Southwest Sri Lanka," TSE Working Papers 09-139, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Archambault, Caroline S. & de Laat, Joost & Zulu, Eliya Msiyaphazi, 2012. "Urban Services and Child Migration to the Slums of Nairobi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1854-1869.
- Caroline Berg & Céline Nauges, 2012. "The willingness to pay for access to piped water: a hedonic analysis of house prices in Southwest Sri Lanka," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 151-166, October.
- Jenkins, Marion W. & Curtis, Val, 2005. "Achieving the 'good life': Why some people want latrines in rural Benin," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(11), pages 2446-2459, December.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert & Davidson, Russell, 1983.
"Tests for model specification in the presence of alternative hypotheses : Some further results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-70, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981. "Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses: Some Further Results," Working Papers 430, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Els & Dieter Von Fintel, 2010. "Residential Property Prices In A Submarket Of South Africa: Separating Real Returns From Attribute Growth," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 78(4), pages 418-436, December.
- Whittington, Dale & Jeuland, Marc & Barker, Kate & Yuen, Yvonne, 2012. "Setting Priorities, Targeting Subsidies among Water, Sanitation, and Preventive Health Interventions in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1546-1568.
- Nauges, Celine & Strand, Jon, 2007. "Estimation of non-tap water demand in Central American cities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 165-182, September.
- Paul K. Asabere, 2004. "The Pricing of the Emergent Leasehold (Possessory) Estates of Ghana," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 673-694, December.
- Kayaga, Sam & Calvert, John & Sansom, Kevin, 2003. "Paying for water services: effects of household characteristics," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 123-132, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Yusuf, Arief Anshory & Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Household’s Valuation of Domestic Water in Indonesia: Revisiting the Supply Driven Approach," MPRA Paper 41911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdi:wpaper:1528. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.