The estimation of urban premium wage using propensity score analysis: some considerations from the spatial perspective
This paper estimates the Urban Wage Premium for the Chilean case, but proposing three contributions to the literature. First, the geographical space is reconfigured using functional regions instead administrative regions. This process is carried out using techniques from the spatial econometric literature. Second, we exploit the use of micro data. We estimate the wage equation using a survey at individual level that avoids problems associated with regional aggregated specifications. Finally, we set the comparability among observations using matching comparison. Thus, we isolate the urban effect from other alternative sources. Our results suggest a Urban Wage Premium between 4 and 21%.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Angamos 0610, Antofagasta|
Phone: (55) 355-768
Fax: (55) 355-878
Web page: http://www.economiaucn.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glaeser, Edward L & Mare, David C, 2001.
"Cities and Skills,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 316-42, April.
- Elvery, Joel A., 2010. "City size and skill intensity," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 367-379, November.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Venables, Anthony J., 2005.
"SPATIAL INEQUALITY AND DEVELOPMENT Overview of UNU-WIDER Project,"
127127, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2005. "Spatial Inequality and Development: Overview of UNU-WIDER Project," Working Papers id:215, eSocialSciences.
- Mion, Giordano & Naticchioni, Paolo, 2007.
"The spatial sorting and matching of skills and firms,"
1721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giordano Mion & Paolo Naticchioni, 2009. "The spatial sorting and matching of skills and firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(1), pages 28-55, February.
- Giordano Mion & Paolo Naticchioni, 2009. "The spatial sorting and matching of skills and firms," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42670, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- MION, Giordano & NATICCHIONI, Paolo, 2006. "The spatial sorting and matching of skills and firms," CORE Discussion Papers 2006099, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Guido W. Imbens, 2004.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Under Exogeneity: A Review,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 4-29, February.
- Guido W. Imbens, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects under Exogeneity: A Review," NBER Technical Working Papers 0294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2004.
"Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zephyr, 2010. "The city," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1-2), pages 154-155, February.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Stefano Iacus & Gary King & Giuseppe Porro, 2008. "Matching for Causal Inference Without Balance Checking," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1073, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Tony Venables, 2003.
"Spatial disparities in developing countries: cities, regions and international trade,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2038, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2005. "Spatial disparities in developing countries: cities, regions, and international trade," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 3-21, January.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2003. "Spatial Disparities in Developing Countries: Cities, Regions and International Trade," CEP Discussion Papers dp0593, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Michael Lechner, 1999.
"Nonparametric bounds on employment and income effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 1-28.
- Lechner, Michael, 1996. "Nonparametric bounds on employment and income effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 96-31, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cat:dtecon:dt201207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dusan Paredes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.