Central Bank Balance Sheet and Policy Implications
Recently, weak central bank financial positions, especially of emerging economies, have brought into the public spotlight whether it will constrain or obstruct the policy implementation in the long run or not. The country case studies and statistical performance showed that the central bank capital erosion does not directly relate to the policy effectiveness, but it creates the vulnerabilities to the monetary policy process. The key factor helping achieve the policy objectives, even with the losses or negative capital is “central bank credibility”. The policy choices to reduce such vulnerabilities are also discussed in this paper.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (662) 283-5353
Fax: (662) 280-0449
Web page: http://www.bot.or.th/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maxwell J. Fry, 1993. "The Fiscal Abuse of Central Banks," IMF Working Papers 93/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Chortareas, Georgios & Stasavage, David & Sterne, Gabriel, 2002. "Monetary Policy Transparency, Inflation and the Sacrifice Ratio," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 141-55, April.
- Martin Cincibuch & Tomas Holub & Jaromir Hurnik, 2008.
"Central Bank Losses and Economic Convergence,"
2008/3, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Martin Cincibuch & Tomáš Holub & Jaromír Hurník, 2009. "Central Bank Losses and Economic Convergence," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(3), pages 190-215, August.
- Camilo Ernesto Tovar Mora & Pedro Castro & Gustavo Adler, 2012. "Does Central Bank Capital Matter for Monetary Policy?," IMF Working Papers 12/60, International Monetary Fund.
- Axel Löffler & Gunther Schnabl & Franziska Schobert, 2010. "Inflation Targeting by Debtor Central Banks in Emerging Market Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 3138, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bth:wpaper:2012-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pym Manopimoke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.