Inflation Derivatives Under Inflation Target Regimes
Inflation targeting -- the central bank practice of attempting to keep inflation levels within fixed bounds around a quantitative target -- has been adopted by more than twenty economies. Such practice has an important impact on the stochastic nature of inflation and, consequently, on the pricing of inflation derivatives. We develop a flexible model of inflation targeting in which the central bank's intervention to steer inflation towards the target depends on past deviations and the policymaker's ability or will to enforce the target. We use our model to price inflation derivatives and demonstrate the impact of inflation targeting on derivative pricing.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MS032, P.O. Box 9110, Waltham, MA 02454-9110|
Web page: http://www.brandeis.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumas, Bernard & Peter Jennergren, L. & Naslund, Bertil, 1995.
"Realignment risk and currency option pricing in target zones,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1523-1544, October.
- Bernard Dumas & L. Peter Jennergren & Bertil Naslund, 1993. "Realignment Risk and Currency Option Pricing in Target Zones," NBER Working Papers 4458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-343.
- Dumas, B. & Jennergren, L.P. & Naslund, B., 1993.
"Currency Option Pricing in Credible Target Zones,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
93-7, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Alexander van Haastrecht & Antoon Pelsser, 2011. "Generic pricing of FX, inflation and stock options under stochastic interest rates and stochastic volatility," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 665-691.
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008.
"Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Christian Kahl & Peter Jackel, 2006. "Fast strong approximation Monte Carlo schemes for stochastic volatility models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(6), pages 513-536.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
- Scott Roger & Mark R. Stone, 2005. "On Target? the International Experience with Achieving Inflation Targets," IMF Working Papers 05/163, .
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-491, June.
- Alexander Van Haastrecht & Antoon Pelsser, 2010. "Efficient, Almost Exact Simulation Of The Heston Stochastic Volatility Model," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(01), pages 1-43.
- Bhansali, Vineer & Dorsten, Matthew P. & Wise, Mark B., 2009. "Asymmetric monetary policy and the yield curve," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1408-1425, December.
- John C. Williams, 2009. "The risk of deflation," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar27.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Kristian Stegenborg Larsen & Michael Sørensen, 2007. "Diffusion Models For Exchange Rates In A Target Zone," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 285-306.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1991. "Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-682.
- Marcel Peter & Scott Roger & Geoffrey M Heenan, 2006. "Implementing Inflation Targeting; Institutional Arrangements, Target Design, and Communications," IMF Working Papers 06/278, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brd:wpaper:43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leslie Yancich)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.